1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen darkens when landscape mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YoungGun, Oct 7, 2014.

1. YoungGun

YoungGun Member

And odd bug I am getting from time to time. My screen darkens a lot when I turn my phone sideways. To where I cant see anything on my screen. Whats suddenly make my phone do this odd behavior?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Hi YoungGun,
    Just a thought... Do you have "automatic brightness" enabled in "/Settings/Dispay/Brightness/"
    It possible that when you turn your device into landscape mode (sideways) that it's reciveing a different amount of light source and the ambient light sensor on the device is activated and adjusting to the light source available.
    If so maybe try and disable auto brightness and then manually set the brightness level to one that you like and then check and see if the screen still darkens when you turn the device into landscape mode.

Hope this helps AMD Good Luck! :thumbup:

3. thisISjoel

thisISjoel Android Enthusiast

Came here to say this. It's very possible that your hand is casting a shadow over the light sensor making it think you're in a darker room.

4. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Are you by any chance wearing polarized sunglasses. If so, that's what happens. Portrait is fine, Landscape blacks out. ;)

Irik, THAT_PHONE_GUY and GuitarG20 like this.
  5. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast

That's where my money is. Portrait is bright as possible while landscape is black with polarized sunglasses. The Nexus 4 compromised by making it black halfway in between landscape and portrait, but both were dimmer. I'm not sure which is worse, but that's what we have to deal with

Covering the light sensor could be the problem too, I just don't usually see it get so dark nothing on the screen is visible

6. Irik

Irik Lurker

Thank you, Hook. I was flying my drone using the phone app and it went black in landscape mode. Took my polarized sunglasses off and viola, I can the the screen perfectly.

7. ETM

ETM Lurker

NO! I do NOT have sunglasses of any kind, and this is still happening to me. Auto brightness is OFF. No matter what I do, any landscape viewing goes dim.

And I DO. NOT. HAVE. SUNGLASSES. Of any kind.

I am NOT covering any sensors. This problem has not been solved.

8. Maybe u downloaded a video in webrip format. Same happened to me before and it was because of webrip format. Try using webDL or bluray.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews