• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
Hey guys, well my one month old 10.1 has had its fatal fall :( The screen is completely cracked. My wife dropped it from her lap in bed on to our wood floor where it landed screen down (It was also in the Belkin case). I really can't believe this thing has Gorilla Glass. I've dropped my Droid countless times from higher heights onto concrete for Pete's sake and it doesn't have a single scratch on it.
Anyway, does anyone know if the screen can be replaced/repaired? Would Samsung be able to fix it under warranty? One concern I have is I'll have to revert it to stock since it's rooted :eek:
Any help would be great. If I have time later this morning, I'll post up some pics of the carnage. Pretty bummed about this now.

Oh man that sucks. :(

Is the screen still in place? Can you operate it even while cracked? I had a friend give me her Eris after a similar incident, totally shattered screen but the things still worked and I was able to factory reset it and now use it as a test device, even though it's cracked.

I think Gorilla glass is mostly good for it's resistance to scratches --I think it can shatter like anything else, though the Droid 1 was built like a tank.

Upvote 0
Ah well that stinks -- I would say go ahead and try and get it fixed anyways. You can either be upfront about rooting [1], or just neglect to mention it and see what happens[2].

Obviously don't lie if asked. However a lot of the time they will overlook rooting when the problem is hardware related. Obviously rooting didnt break the screen :D.

[1] I would be up-front about rooting maybe with Samsung support
[2] I might leave that detail out dealing with Verizon but it could go either way

Again though, if they ask don't lie or anything. ;) :)

And good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, yeah this is the wifi only model I got at Staples (with the coupon). I emailed Samsung and they basically told me to call them (hopefully they're helpful!). I hope that they don't care I don't have a receipt either! I'll let you guys know what happens, but for the love of god, be careful with those screens!

Upvote 0
Just as an update, the (pretty unhelpful) tech guy told me warranty would no cover it as it was accidental (granted I expected this). He said for repairing the screen on the 7" model, it was about $250-$300!! That I was looking at $350-$400 for the 10.1. Well, guess I learned my lesson. Pony up for insurance on devices like these. Not sure if I'll be willing to gamble on another Samsung product after this. Ugh. Guess I'll go back to using the Nook Color for tabbing needs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones