1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen doesn't lock when making a call...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daktron, Sep 17, 2011.

1. daktron

daktron Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    I have a Thunderbolt. On my old DINC when I made a call the screen would lock automatically when i held it to my ear (vertical), that doesn't happen on the Thunderbolt. Looked in the settings but can't find anything. The proximity sensor seems to be working.

Any ideas what's up??

I'm constantly ending calls and hitting other buttons when I talk on the phone. To avoid this I've set the screen lock to 15 secs, but it's a hassle since it locks when I'm using other functions.

Advertisement

2. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    retail... bleh
    Sacramento, CA
    If the proximity sensor works fine then the screen should be going dark so your face would not end calls. My proximity sensor doesn't work that well. It'll turn the screen off and depending if I move the screen will turn back on.

3. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    USAF
    California
    I have this problem as well and I've done plenty of research on it. So far, the best explanation appears to be that there is dust interfering with the proximity sensor. You can see where the sensor is if you hold your phone in the right light. It's right on the edge of the glass above the "V" in Verizon. Supposedly, dirt gets trapped in the seam between the glass and the plastic.

The solution I've read is to clean the seam with a can of compressed air. Of course, I don't have any air sitting around my house, and I always forget to pick it up while I'm out and about. So if anyone wants to test this for me/us and report back, I'd be much obliged.

4. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    USAF
    California
    If the cleaning method doesn't work, I know there are apps on the market that will lock the screen whenever you're on a call. I haven't tested them because I'd rather just fix the actual problem. The apps were intended for Hero users since their phones did not come equipped with proximity sensors.

5. daktron

daktron Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Spraying the sensor did the trick! Thanks for your help!!!! :)

6. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I have the same issue. The worst is when I dial out to another number. I don't so much care about hanging up on people....I'll definitely try the canned air trick.

7. limeyx

limeyx Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    Mine works so poorly, I didn't even know i had one!

8. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You're talking about the ambient light sensor for auto-brightness. The proximity sensor is in the grill. When you're on a call, you can see the VERY faint red light flashing in the grill. Dust/lint gets in the grill and interferes with the light reflection.

9. donas

donas Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Screen suite lockscreen app works perfect to resolve the problem.