1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen fades to black

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 2manyPHONES, Jul 24, 2011.

1. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Picked up this tab yesterday. Well actually its my 3rd one: 1st had dead pixels returned it, 2nd had dead pixels returned it. Now this one no dead pixels but I have noticed 2 instances where I would wake the screen and it would light up gray then fade to black. When it does this it basically has to sit for 10-15 minutes before it will work again, even the reset button did nothing for this problem. Office depot pretty much told me when I got this one I probably wouldn't be allowed to exchange it again and Acer wants me to pay to ship it to them and then wait 10 days to get it back. I plan on stopping by office depot anyway tomorrow so i will discuss this issue with them also but has anyone else had this happen??

Advertisement

2. droid<3er

droid<3er Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    L.I. N.Y.
    Wow talk about bad luck! I feel for you...but unless your receipt says you can only return a defective item a limited number of times (and I would be surprised if it did)...then I would tell them there full of crap and talk to the manager, and you could always show them exactly what the problem is...sounds like they got a bad batch, or the apple fan boys were using them as frisbees before you purchased them...eh...I never liked that store anyway. Hope it works in your favor.

3. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Shockingly I got them at 2 different stores (1 store dead pixel, other store dead pixel and now this screen problem)

Yeah there is no mention of a limited number of returns, the one store it was the manager that said I might not be allowed to exchange again.If it is obviously defective they are taking it back or I'm having a lengthy convo with someone district manager. I just cant believe I would get 3 defective ones in less than 48hrs. I'm not a huge fan of office depot but they were the only store willing to take the staples $100 coupon.

Wondering if I should even try a 4th Acer or give up and go with a different tab :/

4. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    I would be leery of getting another one Although I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine. I think you just have a bad streak of luck.But then again your luck has to change I'll bet If you get another it will be fine.
    I had this happen to me with a RCA TV back in the early 80s and I was in the store every day for a week Four TVs to get a good one. It is very trying for sure.
    And not taking anymore back my ass. I would be all kinds of freaky if someone told me that. They would take it back alright it just may not come out of the orifice as easy as it goes in. LOL

5. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Right now the tab is completely useless. Before after waiting x amount of time it would work ok but now even after waiting about an hour after each incident the screen will come on then flicker and then fade out. I took some videos with my phone incase i get to office depot and it decides to act ok to make me look crazy. Oh and the same manager that gave me the no more exchanges speech also said that the reason for the dead/stuck pixels was that it still had the plastic screen wrap on and it was touching the screen making those pixels like that and if i removed it and waited a few minutes it would be fine (i of course put his theory to the test right there, needless to say removing the plastic did NOT fix the pixel problem)

6. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    At office depot now (spoke with a different manager who didn't care that i already did the other exchanges on defective items) so i got a new one hopefully the 4th one is the lucky one.

7. droid<3er

droid<3er Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    L.I. N.Y.
    ...the anticipation...is...killing me...

8. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Me too, i played with it for a little bit in the store but need wifi to fully test it play with apps so im home charging it just waiting...

9. 1SG31B

1SG31B Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Good Luck! Hopefully the 4th time is the charm.

10. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    So far so good with this one, hopefully it continues to be trouble free. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and whatever other superstitious junk there is.