1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen flicker?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mydian, Jul 6, 2013.

1. mydian

mydian Android Expert

I've had my phone for a week now and a couple of times I have noticed this weird flicker. Not even so much as a flicker but a quick screen redraw. I can't replicate it, and it's only done it 4 or 5 times but seems to happen when I open the messaging app and start to type a message. It did it on facebook while messaging once too.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if it's a software or hardware issue?

LilBit likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

Is auto brightness set to on?

3. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Yes.. This isn't a dim then bright again it's like the whole screen goes blank for a split second. It hasn't done it at all today but did do it once last night. But I haven't been messaging anyone today and it seems related to when I open the keyboard. So far I've seen it do it with the stock keyboard and swiftkey.

LilBit likes this.
  4. LilBit

mydian likes this.
  5. mydian

mydian Android Expert

it just did it a bunch of times while sending a long text message. I switched back to the stock keyboard and it went away. I'm pretty sure it did it with the stock keyboard but maybe not I have mainly used swiftkey.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone else with this phone has noticed it. I have a week from today to where I can still exchange the phone at Best Buy.

LilBit likes this.
  6. LilBit

mydian likes this.
  7. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Yes it does I have been reading so many different threads about it.I think I an actually noticing 2 different flickers I didn't notice on my old phone. 1 is being caused by swiftkey, the other is sometimes google play store or facebook looks like it refreshes really quick causing what looks like a flicker but it appears the status bar doesn't flicker so I guess that's just the way it is.

LilBit likes this.
  8. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

ADW will cause a flicker too when Sense is not disabled or frozen with Titanium. It's something that comes and goes though. Nothing like you are seeing though.

LilBit and mydian like this.
  9. LilBit

Yeah, may have to just live with it.:(

10. wetbiker7

I've also experienced multiple dropped calls with my SV. I checked with my Marquee and I have full signal, switch over to the SV and the signal fluctuates drastically. I'm taking mine back today for a replacement. Hopefully it's just a hardware issue. Figured I might as well get it done since my warranty ends the 14th for returns. :D Fingers crossed!!

11. mydian

mydian Android Expert

That's strange I haven't had that problem at all yet and notice much better signal than I used to get with my Samsung Transform Ultra.

So far no more crazy flickering since I uninstalled Swiftkey. It's still bothering me a little though since when I filter swiftkey reviews by device at the google play store no one is complaining about the issue. But when searching the web it does appear to be a common problem for a lot of other phones.

LilBit likes this.
  12. LilBit

Could the app dev's filter comments at the play store? :thinking: Hmmmm:(

13. wetbiker7

Sorry to go off-topic again.

I just got back from Radio Shack with my new phone. Looks like it's still got a very low signal compared to my Marquee. Damn thing even dropped a few calls while I was in town where there is a decent signal! I hate to say it but I may just end up taking it back. It really makes no sense at all when my Marquee is getting 3 bars to a full signal and this phone has sporadic signal and drops calls right and left. I'll just have to see. I've got 6 days to make my mind up. That's when the option to return it runs out. I really hate it too because I love this phone. :mad:

LilBit likes this.
  14. LilBit

Dangit:mad: What about screen flicker?:thinking:

mydian likes this.
  15. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Can you install the free swiftkey and type for a bit and see if you get any screen flicker? That sucks your reception didn't get any better. My wife needs a new phone and we get lousy reception at my house. Maybe I'll have to get her a Marque

LilBit likes this.
  16. wetbiker7

LOL!!! No screen flicker for me when using Swiftkey. I only see it once in awhile when changing screens. I've already figured it out. It has to do with Sense and ADW Ex. As long as I disable Sense or freeze it w/ Titanium I'm good. :D

EDIT: That was on the phone I just took back. I haven't even rooted the new one I got today. :p I may just wait for the update and then root. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I may have spoken too soon. It looks like my reception is a little better after all. I've made 3 calls on it since coming home and no dropped calls yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!! lol

I'll install Swiftkey right now and test it for you on my new device

irishobo, mydian and LilBit like this.
  17. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Thanks. I still haven't rooted mine I was waiting until ny 15 days to return it were up so I can't freeze Sense.... Yet. Sometimes I had to type for awhile before it messed up. 400 characters or so. Other times it did it right away.

18. wetbiker7

LOL!!! I took mine back rooted and all. They didn't even check it. The trick is to go ahead and wipe it then have it fully booted up. That way they won't see that the bootloader has been unlocked. :D Don't really think it would have mattered anyways since it was a hardware issue.

Also, I flashed back to a copy my original ROM. It was straight stock when I gave it to them.;)

OK, just installed the paid version of Swiftkey and it's working fine. No flicker at all that I can see. I'll report back here if I encounter any though and let you know. ;)

mydian and LilBit like this.
  19. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Well shoot I'm glad your screen doesn't flicker but I wonder why mine does? I hate to take a phone back just because of 1 app but I'm thinking about it.

20. LilBit

I think you will be happier in the end if you do take it back.:)
    A small issue can turn into a bigger one later, sometimes.;)

wetbiker7 likes this.
  21. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Yeah.. I'll be out my $25 for my Zag screen protector but I guess that's the way it goes. The Best Buy I bought it from is out of stock so I'll have to go for a drive tomorrow night to one further away I guess. Unless someone else reports that SwiftKey does this to their phone also by then.

LilBit likes this.
  22. wetbiker7

I agree w/ Lilbit. I would go ahead and take it back. If it is a hardware malfunction, it's best to go ahead and get it taken care of. No sense in taking the chance when you still have the option to get it replaced locally.

Also, doesn't Zag have a replacement policy for their screen protectors? If so, I would look that screen protector over very carefully. If there is even the slightest imperfection, use the warranty. That's what it's there for.

ORRRRR, why not take it back to Best Buy? They should replace the screen protector within the 1st 30 days whether there's anything wrong with it or not. Just let them know you have a defective phone and you need them to replace the Zag so you can put it on your new phone. They should do it!

LilBit likes this.
  23. mydian

mydian Android Expert

They didn't have a screen protector that fit this phone in stock so I bought a bigger one and cut it down to size so I'm not going to get my hopes up that they'll replace the screen protector. But, I wouldn't need a new one if I didn't get a "defective" phone so...

I've been messing around with swiftkey some more again tonight.. still flashes and goes crazy when I type. More so than it used to it's pretty much instant now so I'll try another one and if it does it.. then I guess no swiftkey for me. It's worth a try to exchange for another while I can.

LilBit likes this.
  24. wetbiker7

Check your PM box in a few minutes.

25. mydian

mydian Android Expert

ok

HTC One SV Forum

The HTC One SV release date was January 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1800mAh battery.

January 2013
Release Date
Reviews