1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen freeze on wake

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tipoima, Jul 11, 2020.

1. tipoima

tipoima Lurker

Issue: when waking the phone there's a ~85+ chance for the screen to not respond to touch. Nothing done in that state fixes it, except for locking it and hoping it doesn't happen next time.
    I can't find a pattern to this. Sometimes it works on the third try, sometimes I have to lock and relock for several minutes for it to fix itself. When it unfreezes it does tend to not freeze/unfreeze faster for a short while afterwards (although this is not always the case).
    It almost always happens specifically when waking the phone (2-3 times it happened randomly VS hundreds of times it happened on wake)

The only thing that changed recently-ish before the first appearance was me installing Greenify app (and even then it took weeks for the issue to start appearing) Neither safe mode nor a factory reset solved the issue.

The phone is still responsive to any other inputs when the screen is frozen and generally seems normal.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Well for one thing it is an 8 year old device, so it is not going to work very well no matter what you try. The hardware has become software.

ocnbrze, tube517 and MrJavi like this.
  3. tipoima

tipoima Lurker

In my defence, I bought mine in mid 2016, so it's "only" its 4th year of use.

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Regardless, the device is still 8 years old and simply cannot handle today's standards

ocnbrze, tube517 and MrJavi like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sounds like it's an intermittent hardware fault. Repair or replacement required.

ocnbrze, Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  6. tipoima

tipoima Lurker

Can a hardware fault depend so much on the phone wake (which I believe is a software-only process)?

MrJavi likes this.
  7. tipoima

tipoima Lurker

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  8. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I suppose as a last resort, you could try flashing the latest stock firmware via Odin.

PS: I had an S3 that gave out on me and It was due to a hardware issue. :(

ocnbrze likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews