• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen (Glass) Replacement

Antiluddite

Sep 10, 2011
I ordered a case and screen protectors as soon as I bought this phone. The case arrived Friday and I immediately put it on; unfortunately, the screen protectors were being shipped by a different company and won't arrive until Monday.

Last night after rooting the phone, my joy was greatly muted when I noticed a small but obvious scratch on the left side of the display.

%#^$&*#!

Has anyone attempted to replace the screen on this model? I've searched the web but haven't seen anything although replacement digitizers are available.

%$%#$^&!

check to make sure the screen doesnt have a factory supplied covering?

Jesus, I only wish that was the problem. I'd love to be able to peel this scratch off like some kind of face mask removing a pimple.

OK, so that analogy was a little gross, but it's appropriate. :D That scratch is marring the complexion of my otherwise pristine rooted phone.

%%#$%@!

Upvote 0
I just removed a 2" long scratch from my screen with automotive compound

Can I get a little more info on that Heloguy? What kind of automotive compound did you use? I don't even know what an automotive compound is lol. I have some stuff called Novus I got to polish car headlights but I'm not sure if that would work. It does work great on getting scratched cds to read again :D When I get home I'll see if it says anything about scratch repair but I don't think that's the one I have.

Or...does anyone out there have a hard bricked phone with a good screen they can part with? Maybe for a small fee? I'd feel better about taking apart my phone if I could practice on one that won't boot up anyway lol.

Upvote 0
I ordered a case and screen protectors as soon as I bought this phone. The case arrived Friday and I immediately put it on; unfortunately, the screen protectors were being shipped by a different company and won't arrive until Monday.

Last night after rooting the phone, my joy was greatly muted when I noticed a small but obvious scratch on the left side of the display.

%#^$&*#!

Has anyone attempted to replace the screen on this model? I've searched the web but haven't seen anything although replacement digitizers are available.

%$%#$^&!

If your getting a zagg invisibleshield, its actually really good at filling in the scratches. I gouged mine up pretty hard, before i bought the protector, and now I can't see them at all.

Can I get a little more info on that Heloguy? What kind of automotive compound did you use? I don't even know what an automotive compound is lol. I have some stuff called Novus I got to polish car headlights but I'm not sure if that would work. It does work great on getting scratched cds to read again :D When I get home I'll see if it says anything about scratch repair but I don't think that's the one I have.

The stuff that comes in headlight kits works the same way as rubbing compound, as long as its a paste-type with a really fine grit. If you use it on CD's its probably okay, just test it on a non-screen part of the front, like the top corner first.

Toothpaste actually makes a really good CD cleaner too, as long as you only use a little bit and rinse it really good

Reactions: theonewho
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones