• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen goes black and cannot be turned back on without removing battery - any suggestions for a fix?

I have now had 7 random crashes in two days and the only way I know to get phone back on is to take the battery out and replace it. When it crashes - the screen goes black, but the green alert light still flashes. Does anyone else have this or a solution? It is stock with just a few added apps from the market. Thanks.

I'm sure you've already done this, but sometimes it is the simple solutions which are the best.

When the display goes to sleep on a properly functioning Evo... you can only wake it by lightly pushing the POWER button. This is so the phone isn't accidently turning on by things bumping against the touchscreen.

Upvote 0
It happened to me just yesterday as I was in the parking lot outside the sprint store. I hit the power button to turn the screen on, dragged my finger down to remove the lock screen, and the image moved halfway and then went black. No buttons worked so I had to do a battery pull....but it turned back on with no issues and has been fine since.

Upvote 0
It happened to me also. I had used my camera earlier yesterday to take photos of myself (the camera on the front) and I left it set to the front camera as the default. I was using on of the millions of facebook apps on my EVO and I clicked on something that said, "take a picture" it tried to go to the camera but the screen just went black. I could go "home" and use the phone, but if I tried to turn the camera back on the screen would go black.

I wanted to try trial and error to fix it but I went out to the club last night and saw a really sexxy chick that I wanted to snap a photo of (this is the best "dark nightclub" phone I have EVER seen or used) so I pulled the battery and turned the phone back on.

Everything was back to normal.

I get an app a least once or twice a day that hangs up, but the phone gives me an option to force close. But no other "black" screens.

Upvote 0
Happened to me once so far yesterday. I was checking some texts (or maybe listening to music) and the thing locked up then turned black. Right befroe that started happening though, my Evo got real sluggish and almost non-responsive. A little nervous, but I have the 30 days with the shack if it starts happening again.

Upvote 0
It happened to me also. I had used my camera earlier yesterday to take photos of myself (the camera on the front) and I left it set to the front camera as the default. I was using on of the millions of facebook apps on my EVO and I clicked on something that said, "take a picture" it tried to go to the camera but the screen just went black. I could go "home" and use the phone, but if I tried to turn the camera back on the screen would go black.

I wanted to try trial and error to fix it but I went out to the club last night and saw a really sexxy chick that I wanted to snap a photo of (this is the best "dark nightclub" phone I have EVER seen or used) so I pulled the battery and turned the phone back on.

Everything was back to normal.

I get an app a least once or twice a day that hangs up, but the phone gives me an option to force close. But no other "black" screens.
Lolz wow haha

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I changed some settings on my phone and thats when my evo screen went black while charging! I tried to remember if I did anything diff today. I did! I changed my display brightness from automatic to a lower level of light! So I went in settings and changed brightness back to automatic! My evo is working perfectly now! I was gonna take it back to store, but glad I didn't have to!

Upvote 0
I have had my Htc Evo since November, I have had no problems with it all at! Perfect in every single way. Then I was trying to call someone and when i did the dial tone sounded like an alarm. I also had no service. I was wondering If I restarted the phone if it would reload everything and i would be able to make my phone call. I turned it on it went threw it usual "turn on" settings and then it goes to where i can start to access the phone and it restarts again and goes to a black screen and will continue to Light up black. :thinking:
I have restarted it many, many times. Same things happen. When i was restarting my phone, i also had a friend talking to me about her Grand-Father dieing in that room and I've heard ghosts can wipe out electronics.
What should I do?
What do you think may have Happen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones