1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Screen = Gorilla Glass, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IzelTokatl, Jul 15, 2011.

1. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    just a precaution incase they decide to be a-holes. you never know. Personally, i'd make sure the phone checks out first so i wont have to make unnecessary trips.

Advertisement

2. bmar29

bmar29 Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    Yeah you're right. I suppose what I said is a little extreme. I don't think I'll be able to resist playing with it when I first get it. I don't want to cause more work for myself. I suppose my point was to show how worth it the invisibleSHEILDS really are, seeing as I saw a post or two implying that they are overpriced. $30 for life-long protection doesn't seem bad to me.

3. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I know GG isn't indestructible. I'm just going by the numerous times i had droped the DX screen down on the pavement. Nothing. The bezel around the outside got scratched, but there wasn't a mark on the glass.

4. mothbeast

mothbeast Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Barbara likes this.
  5. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Thank you Mothbeast! Now I just need for Verizon to get the black silicone gel case in before the college football season starts.

6. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010
    and now everyone wins!

btw i might get an invisishield for my future D3 now. i didnt know that you could theoretically peel it off and have them apply a new one for you.

7. beowulf7

beowulf7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    I think I'll try out an Ebay screen protector. I know not all of them are created equal. Any recommendations on which one to go with? I'm thinking about this one, which is $4 for 3.

8. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010
    no no no. i bought some from them, they actually have cruddy screen protectors.

buy from a guy off of ebay named empire_accessory. i've bought multiple things from him and shipping is fast an the screen protectors are great quality.

9. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree that cruddy is definitely not worth the price. It's good to have the recommendation of someone who has experience with a product.

10. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010
    ive since edited my post.

the person is Empire_Accessory.

11. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback of that seller. I'll avoid for now. I bought an Ebay screen protector for my last phone and it worked fine. (But I didn't put my phone in harm's way, so no idea if the screen protector did much more than protect the screen itself from finger prints, etc.) I wish I noted that seller's name. I'll have to search Ebay to see if I can see my purchase history from 2 years ago.

Yeah, I was about to say that the link you mentioned was for the Droid. I couldn't immediately find the D3 version by that seller, but I didn't search too thoroughly.

12. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
  13. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Newbie
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Jeez, what do you guys do to your phones?

I put my D1 on the bumper of my truck once, it fell off, landed on the asphalt, got ran over by a full size pickup...still, not a single scratch on the screen. Not even a tiny microscopic nick. The black plastic got marred up pretty good, but the screen was still pristine out of the box and stayed that way for the 20 months that I had it. No screen protectors of course.

14. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    It doesn't look like e_a is selling screen protectors for the D3 (yet). I'll chance it on one of the $3-5 screen protectors. I plan on getting a case soon, so I'm not looking at a screen protector to necessarily protect the screen from a fall as much as just protect the screen from fingerprints, smudges, grease, dirt, etc.

15. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
  16. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    I applied the screen protector I bought from Amazon that I mentioned in my previous post. It was pretty simple to apply (just follow the instructions on Halo's website). I'm glad to finally get rid of that static cling-on that came w/ the phone that has the diagram of the phone. :D

The screen protector had some resistance when I used the touch screen, but after an hour of use, it's more slippery now, so I guess it just needed some dust and finger oil to make it glide better.

17. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010

awesome stuff! glad you found a good screen protector. also thanks for listening to my advice, i feel good i was able to steer you in the right direction

18. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    Thanks, yeah, I'm glad I checked out Amazon instead of relying on Ebay.

For anyone who gets the Halo one (BTW, here's a video of applying it), note that the top right part that says "Step 2 Remove Me" blocks the FFC hole, so you need to partially peel that to line up the earpiece hole and FFC hole. Not too difficult, but just note that. Halo perhaps should punched a hole through the sticker the same size as the screen protector's.

19. slow88lx

slow88lx Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    In my opinion unless you are carrying razor blades or diamond tipped drill bits in your pocket with your DX/DX2/D3/ect. your are needlessly blurring the screen and making the touch screen less sensitive. I had my DX for over a year and still not a scratch, also no scratches on my D3 so far.

20. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    My screen protector has done nothing to distort the image or make the screen less sensitive. Maybe cheap screen protectors will do that. I'd rather be safe than sorry, esp. when reading people scratch up their D3s.

21. boster

boster Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    I put a Gadget Gear screen protector on my D3, and I'm very happy with it. It was odd in that it had to be wet to apply (made me a little nervous) but the screen protector is on tight, and the early-appearing smudges are gone. I have very slight distortion which really is only visible when the screen is off.

Picture is still excellent. Touch sensitivity is still excellent. I'm glad I got a high quality protector on.

-boster

22. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    Congrats, although it is a little weird they made you use some water to apply it. That reminds me of how one implies tint for car windows. The only complaint, and it's very slight, I have w/ my screen protector is not with the protector itself but in how I installed it. While there are no air/dust bubbles, I applied the screen protector about 1/16" too much to the left. But not enough to cover any part of the earpiece or front-facing camera lens.

23. PiperCub49

PiperCub49 Member
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    New England
    So do we know what is scratching Gorilla Glass in our pockets yet? With all of these videos of scratch tests, you would figure that someone would be able to scratch the screen intentionally when it can be done so easily and unintentionally in the "hazard-free" environment of a pocket or table. Thinking about it practically, what is in our pockets or on our desks that is harder and/or sharper than all of the pocket knifes and keys that we see in the videos?

Let's face it: It's not magic. Something is causing these scratches and I think it's about time that we figure it out.

24. mikenius

mikenius Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Warsaw, Poland
    If this screen is Gorilla Glass, I wonder how it would be without it... I keep my DROID3 always as the only thing in my pocket... never with keys or any other things... just my DROID3... but I found a scratch on it!! :-( Haven't idea what happened... i've never dropped it on the floor never tried any tests on it... but there is a deep scratch and few smaller... it is only me that is using this phone so it can't be like this that someone dropped it or scratched... it makes me really confused... :( :thinking:

25. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    That's why I say to get a screen protector and be safe. Not worth chancing it on the quality of the D3's GG.