1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Screen Home Lag.. I may be on to something

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ralphtrent, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ralphtrent

ralphtrent Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Since the 2.2 upgrade, we were blessed with the lag time to display the home screen icons, as well as populate the app drawer. Its very frustrating. I have read many people trying different things to correct it. None of which have a lasting effect.

I think I may be on to something though. Most of us probably hit the home screen to get out of an app. I have started to use the back arrow button to get all-the-way out of an app. It looks like a decent work around. My home screen lag seems to still lag a bit but only when I pull it out of the desktop doc.

If this does help others, then it looks like the application stack is the issue. I have no other thoughts then that.

If anyone else can try this method and let me know your thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    RalphTrent

Advertisement

2. I agree. Taking the trouble to back out of an app, even the web browser (and that can take many clicks ;)), effectively stops the app from running in most cases and lessens resource drag.

3. ralphtrent

ralphtrent Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    to solve the web browser problem, I first close all the windows (Menu, windows, click x on each window shown), even if there is only one, and then when I get back to google (or my home page), I then back arrow out

4. For quite a while I was in that habit.

Lately I find myself using Dolphin's "exit" in menu, having cache clear on exit checked in the configuration area.

5. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
  6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    That trick never worked at all for me.

I will try using back instead of home for the next day or two and seeing if I get less of this frustrating redraw lag that's making Froyo impossible to use.

7. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Definitely ^this for backing out of the browser. I've always been in the habit of backing out of apps instead of using the home button and I still got awful home screen lag with froyo. Since i've installed ROMs that allow one to lock home in memory, redraws are nonexistent. Not sure but I think LauncherPro and ADW offer this option too, without having to root or install custom ROMs.

One day I will go back to my stock rooted backup and uninstall a ton of apps and see if freeing up memory helps at all, but not yet cuz I'm loving bugless beast and CM6.

8. jdk2

jdk2 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Male
    Celebration, FL
    I set my homepage to "about:blank" without the quotes. Close any open windows with the procedure outlined above, the back out to the homescreen.

9. Imemine

Imemine Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I am having the same problem and I know its from the 2.2 upgrade. the lady at verizon told me I needed to do a factory reset. she said that it should be done after any update. I don't believe her and I don't want to reinstall everything.

I will try the back out as someone suggested and keep you posted.

thank you
    m

10. joelbman

joelbman New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I have all of these problems - bad battery, TERRIBLE home screen lag all the time. I did a factory reset TWICE and it has not helped. I've practically given up and am just holding out now until the Galaxy S II comes out on VZW.

This thing is so painfully slow it's torture.

11. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    root + rom = nice holdover until buying a new phone.

12. Roter

Roter New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    The lag on a return to home screen is being caused by the feeds coming in on other menus. For example the facebook feed was on menu #5 or 6 for me. I trashed it and the android news feed and boom! No more lag! :)