1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen is dead, can I get my files off the phone?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Android Question

Ok, I'll make it quick.

The wire on the inside of my Galaxy 551 broke. This is the wire that enables the screen and also the touchscreen. The screen lights up, but it's just plain black. The issues before this were that when the screen slid out to a certain point... Well I don't even know how to describe it. The screen just completely lost it. Ok, pokemon fans. My screen turned into a moving MissingNo. It would flash different colours and would be completely corrupt to the point where that's the only way to describe it.

Anyway, I was using my phone and I slid the screen into typing position... And that's the last thing it ever did. Now the screen is just black. It lights up and makes the booting up sound, but with no picture.

Now the 551 is only a starter phone, and this now gives me an excuse to buy the battery I need for my new phone (the other battery exploded in the phone, amazingly causing no damage to the device) and so I'm actually pretty happy this happened. HERE'S the problem.

The only way I can access my phone's files through my computer is by plugging it in with the transfer cable while the phone is on and selecting either USM mode or Kies. With my phone's problems making me practically blind, and have no way of using the touchscreen, I can not connect the storage to my computer.

I need to know if there's a way to bypass the confirmation of connecting the storage. I know it would technically be hacking it, but I can garantee this phone IS mine and is not stolen. The only reason I want to access the phone is to get my contacts, so if you can tell me a way to get just my contacts, that would work perfectly.

Thank you for your time, and I hope that you can help me.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

If you did what you should have done, and entered your contacts under your email address (the other option was "phone), go to https://www.google.com/contacts/ and you'll find them all there. The next time you put that email address into an Android phone and tell it to sync contacts, it'll get them all. (Android auto-syncs your contacts if you do it right.)

If not? Yes, there are ways (that you probably can't do yourself, because you don't have the equipment, let alone the experience) to get into the phone and get data from it. What you have to decide is whether that data is worth what it's going to cost to retrieve it. (And cellphones - any cellphones - are cheap by comparison.)