1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by harmony7, Apr 11, 2012.

1. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Hi,

I am waiting for my HTC One X however there has been quite a few cases where people have mentioned there being different types of screen issues. Is anyone having any problems?

:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zafonic

zafonic Android Enthusiast

Do you mean like the "yellow tint" issue as with the Xperia S?

3. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Issues such as when you push on the edges of the curved screen it causes the display to flex and causes patches of discolored pixels where ever you touch on the screen which apparently in time can damage the screen.

I just want to know if anyone on here is having any problems or if people are just exaggerating and wanting something to moan about.

4. JasonC

JasonC Android Enthusiast

Mine does that when you press the edges but it's pretty normal as far as I'm concerned, especially for such a thin device. I've had hundreds of screens that have done this in the past and no harm has come to them. It's just the liquid crystal moving about when pressure is applied, AMOLEDs wouldn't do that because it's different technology.

Besides, if you don't press the edges in it doesn't happen, that's not a normal thing to do if you ask me! unlike the antenna gate issue with the iPhone, which did happen in normal conditions and was a worse problem IMO.

ScandaLeX, EarlyMon and El Presidente like this.
  5. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Thanks Jason, you've really helped. Looking forward to getting this phone, can not wait to move from my Galaxy S2.

6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Jason has it spot on, it only happens if you apply quite a lot of pressure to the screen and/or sides. Cnet look to be making mountains out of molehills to be honest with you.

ScandaLeX, s.m.knipe and EarlyMon like this.
  7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

^ This.

And CNet failed to mention that the Nexus S 4G did the exact same thing, and it's a SAMOLED screen.

;) :)

8. maggot_ff

maggot_ff Newbie

I tested this on 3 display models today, and all three were suffering from the same "design-flaw". 2 of them were a lot more sensitive than the 3rd one. The 2 bad ones didn't need a lot of pressure at all. But on a device this thin, with that thin glass, of course you are gonna be able to disturb the LCD.

9. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

I personally haven't pressed on the sides to see how it affects it but haven't had any other screen issues.

10. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Thanks for all your comments. I did have a play around with this phone in the 3 store and did not have any problems with the screen.

To be honest I feel like Cnet gave a bad review on this phone.

11. GingerRob

GingerRob Well-Known Member

I have had the yellow tint on mine. It is being sent back for a replacement. The yellow tint is running across the top of the screen in the notification bar area. Cant be seen unless viewing a full screen white picture or during the reboot process. Pretty annoying considering it has been in a leather pouch since arriving. But phones4u were great exchange sorted within 20 mins. But I ordered it online so I have to send it back before I get a replacement.

12. jonmorris

jonmorris Android Enthusiast

My One X does this, but you really do need to press hard. Incidentally, it's one of the 'white box' review samples.

The Xperia S does it too if pressed hard enough.

Also - I can get this 'problem' on both the left and right hand sides, but if you press hard enough in the middle of the screen (or in fact anywhere) you can get it to a lesser extent.

But, guess what, any LCD screen does it if there's a soft panel above it that can flex even the tiniest bit. Perhaps the person who reviewed the phone forgot what LCD stands for? The clue is in the first letter!!

EDIT: I'm uploading a video to YouTube showing the 'problem' (link may take an hour or so to work)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H2YwNmrtLM

13. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

I have been on other forum rooms and so many people are having problems with their screen. There was one person who was on his fourth replacement. Do you guys think it is a software or hardware issue? because apparently people who are on version 128 have not had any problems. A bit of a put of.

I have this phone coming tomorrow and I have to say I am not looking forward to it.

14. JasonC

JasonC Android Enthusiast

I've had no issues with my screen whatsoever, it is a beautiful screen. The distortion at the edges is a none issue so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm not sure what this version "128" refers to? but my software version is 1.26.161.2 if that helps ease your mind :)

15. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

I also have software version 1.26.980.3 and have not had any problems with my screen.

16. El Presidente

VIP Member

1.26.061.5 and no screen issues for me.

17. Martin L

Martin L Member

I don't consider it an issue. If you weren't highlighted to it you wouldn't know it existed. You do need to press hard to get the flex in the screen. The phone as a woke unit doesn't flex which is the important bit.
    The other 'issue' that has been mentioned about apps starting by themselves I think is down to the way the phone is held. The heel of you thumb can activate apps. Happens if I hold mu iPad that way too.
    Also as modern screens are resistance activated, being close but not touching can activate too. Again something that can be replicated on my iPad.
    I don't worry about it. Nothing is perfect, unless of course you're an apple fan!

18. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Thanks guys,

There must just be a small portion of people that have been unlucky.

19. Tomo1971

Tomo1971 Well-Known Member

And thats only cos they have paid so much for a POS that they darnt say anything bad about it

20. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

21. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

Try not to worry about it unless something does happen. I've had mine for over a week now and it has been fine. Let us know how your's goes when you get it.

22. Jamesturbo

Jamesturbo Lurker

Hi All,

Have owned a ONE X for about a week. I bought an original HTC screen protector and it doesn't fit very well. The screen curves around the edges so you don't get full adhesion to the screen. Where it does not connect, it is obvious. I have written to HTC about it but .........

I am not griping about the following but wonder if any other owners have had the same experience

- the rear of the phone picks up finger prints easily. The plasticky/rubbery finish is not easy to wipe off
    - from day 1 there was a lag between swipe screens. I changed from a Desire HD to the ONE X and was hoping the more powerful phone would overcome it but seems not.

23. harmony7

harmony7 Newbie

Apparently there is a update coming real soon, I would imagine this will make sense run more smoothly.

Thanks Nikki, will let you know how it goes. Can not wait for this device, I am constantly on Youtube watching reviews and boxing.

24. El Presidente

VIP Member

Aside from the apparent problem noticed by cnet, anyone notice the screen flicker (very slightly) on occasion when swiping between homescreens? Is this normal behaviour for this type of screen?

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews