• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen jumps a bit while charging phone, is this normal?

CeeJayII

Nov 11, 2009
When my phone is charging my screen tends to jump a bit when I'm scrolling, has anyone else noticed this? If I scroll up or down and leave my finger in the screen, the screen will jump up and down in small jerky movements around my finger. I also noticed while playing breakout that the slider will have jerky movement as well while charging. Hope I'm not the only one who experiences this, it's not a big deal but bothers me. Does not happen when not charging.

Also, some times when trying to tap the screen and select something does your droid randomly scroll down maybe 8% of the time? I have this issue as well.

Yea, my car charger makes a high pitch ringing sound when my Droid is plugged in, but dosn't when other phones/devices are. Seems the Droid is a little power hungry. I don't seem to have the screen "jumping" as you do, but I do find it odd that it happens with the wall outlet. Do you have anything else plugged into the wall outlet? Whats the power output for that outlet (Probably wouldnt matter)

Upvote 0
Maybe it's the cheap extension cord? Anyhow, now I'm a little scared to plug it into that outlet. Hope I haven't done any damage. Thanks for the help. The jumping isn't dramatic but its noticable. Go to google.com on the web and scroll down a little with your finger and leave it on the screen trying to hold it still, mine bumps up and down, won't stay completely still with my finger on the screen.

Upvote 0
Yea the Droid is deffinatly a power hog, and shouldn't be used with the really cheap extension cords, or the adapters. The circuitry can't send enough Juice and the Droid freaks out. I was in the car for a long trip and all I had was the cheap USB car cigarette outlet and my Droid was at 10%. Had to use the Droid as a GPS and it was using more power than it was taking in (Which wouldn't happen if you were using a 1st party charger) and it died. Because of the Droid's issue that it turns on when its off and plugged in (Which is confirmed by Moto in the 12/11 update) it kept trying to turn on, but couldnt get enough power so it got to the lockscreen and turned off 2 seconds later (And did this for 45 minutes)

Upvote 0
I was in the car for a long trip and all I had was the cheap USB car cigarette outlet ...

Your issues are most likely due to the cheap car charger not supporting the proper USB charging spec.

According to the original USB spec (the one designed for connecting computers to devices), a device can draw at most 100mA without "asking" for more. If it does ask for more, it can draw up to 500mA. This isn't an issue for computer <-> device use cases.

Clearly, this is an issue for charging. 100mA is way too low. The USB guys came up with a USB charging spec. Essentially, if the data lines are shorted together, then the device can assume the other end of the wire is a dedicated charger -- it no longer needs to ask for more juice.

If you have an old car charger, it probably doesn't short the data lines together, and the Droid is forced to use a lowly 100mA.

You can buy a new charger, or invest in a soldering iron ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones