• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen just crapped out

have you had to return Dx due to screen issues

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Fixed issue on my own

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bbuck002

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
Buffalo
So everyone is clear, i'm not looking for support on this issue. I know my screen is shot, but I want to know if anyone else has seen this or heard this happening. Hopefully its a small, isolated case. I've had my Dx since launch day and everything has been going pretty much swell. I love the phone and particularly the size of the screen (my screen is bigger than my g/fs entire phone, a samsung reality). I have been withholding my thoughts on the OS until 2.2 is officially released ota, came from a bb storm1, don't get me started on BB/OS. Suffice it to say, that shit sucked comparatively. I'm not saying Android is perfect, there are some changes I would love to see, but I'm not worried about them too much due to the imminent update for us Dxers. So, the story with my screen is that today, as I was reading a news article on it, a line of pixels went out about 1/3 from the top of the screen and then everything below that line (read the entire bottom 2/3 of my screen) start freaking out. It just constantly colorbands and bounces up and down. It's really unfortunate b/c now I have to get a new phone. I tried a data wipe/factory reset to no avail. I'm actually pretty pissed b/c now I know they are going to try to give me a refurbished phone, which I will not accept. I did nothing to cause this problem and I feel I deserve a brand new phone. I don't want someone else's used phone. I think this is fair. It should not be acceptable for those of us who have Big Red's flagship phone (who most of us are probably their most informed/knowledgable users, not to mention biggest single plan spanders, to have to deal with the refurbished crap that they send out)

ok, so sorry for the rant in there, mainly I just want to know if anyone else knows of this issue. I've searched all through the forums and haven't come up with posts about this.

Have a good day, and respond away :)

Nothing wrong with refurbs. Think of it as a phone that has already had its problem, which has been fixed, and probably some extra checks to make sure all the problems are fixed. I've bought lots of refurbed electronics, and they have all worked perfectly, and the only way you could tell they were refurbs and not new was because they said REFURB on the back. I don't think they do that with phones, though. Actually, I don't think the GPS I got said refurb anywhere on it either.

Anyways, on the main topic, my screen has been fine, but it's only ben 3 weeks since I got it, so who knows. I don't think this is a wide-spread issue though, haven't seen much mention of that problem anywhere here.

Reactions: Rockmystery
Upvote 0
It should not be acceptable for those of us who have Big Red's flagship phone (who most of us are probably their most informed/knowledgable users, not to mention biggest single plan spanders, to have to deal with the refurbished crap that they send out)
The common misconception is that refurbs are somehow "crap". As the previous poster stated, you probably could never tell the difference if set side-by-side. Plus the refurbs go through extra burn-in and quality checks since each one is touched by knowledgable technicians rather than trained production monkeys just moving product along an assembly line.

Upvote 0
well the news is that there are no x's in western new york that they could give me. So I'm now being sent a replacement. But the Verizon store said that so far all the replacements have been new devices, not refurbs. As for what you guys say about refurbs, I understand all the testing they go through, but I don't really feel that it is as thorough as you say. In the last month my g/f had three different replacement phones in three weeks. Two of the the keyboards didn't work. Plus, my other reason was a little petty...I don't want a used phone, even if it was just used for one day and return to the store cause it was too big for someone's hand. Like I told the store manager, Certified Like New is not New. But like I said, at this point it doesn't really matter.

That being said, I have thought about how my phone has behaved over the last couple weeks to see if I can remember any other issues.
The only thing I can come up with is that I noticed over the last week or so that my screen was progressively getting worse at responding to my touch. I do remember in searching this problem that other people were saying this was happening. Does anyone else have a problem with touch recognition on their X?? If so, beware that this could happen to you, I can only assume that the two things, lower touch recognition and constant screen flicker, are somehow related in my case. The good news was that in talking with three different services reps at my verizon store, there aren't many stores for a fairly populous area and its ALWAYS slammed with people, none of them had seen any Dx's be returned with screen problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones