• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen keeps flashing up for no reason

kierons316

Lurker
Jan 27, 2012
Hey guys, had my galaxy ace (black) since November and had no real problems, but my girlfriend got the ace (White) in January, but for the last week or so her screen has been lighting up for no reason, as though the button has been pressed.

I've checked through the settings - turned proximity sensor off, turned auto rotate off, just to see if these are to blame... they're not.

There are no notifications when this happens either. The phone could be sat on the desk minding it's own business when it will suddenly flash up. Sometimes it goes off and then flashes again almost straight away.

She's had it a little over 28 days, so other than sending off for repair I don't have a clue.

I do also know someone else who has the ace in white, and she has the same problem.

I've tried googling but not been able to find anything.

Any ideas would be great thanks guys :)

i have a Samsung galaxy s2 and my screen also lights up randomly.i think i figured it out.it definitely has to do with the red light next to the front facing camera,i dont know about the rest of you but my phone has one,after putting the phone on stand by from the power button by just pressing it once to shut screen,not hold to fully shutdown.
put your thumb over the small red light and you will see that the screen lights up and do it again and it will close.i did it like that and it hasnt lit up alone again.try it,it might work for you..its the Proximity sensor and once you run many apps later,it will do it again and you must cover the red light with your thumb again.it hasnt lit up with me from the time i did this.even after i ran other apps.it doesn't light up anymore (on its own) to the point that its making me worry :D
i hope this has been helpful to any of you.

Upvote 0
i have a Samsung galaxy s2 and my screen also lights up randomly.i think i figured it out.it definitely has to do with the red light next to the front facing camera,i dont know about the rest of you but my phone has one,after putting the phone on stand by from the power button by just pressing it once to shut screen,not hold to fully shutdown.
put your thumb over the small red light and you will see that the screen lights up and do it again and it will close.i did it like that and it hasnt lit up alone again.try it,it might work for you..its the Proximity sensor and once you run many apps later,it will do it again and you must cover the red light with your thumb again.it hasnt lit up with me from the time i did this.even after i ran other apps.it doesn't light up anymore (on its own) to the point that its making me worry :D
i hope this has been helpful to any of you.

Hi i want to try that, but I can't find the red light next to the front camera. Mine is samsung galaxy note.. but in the front cam, there are two circles and 1 oblong shape hole. Definitely the bigger circle is the front camera.. I don't know which one is the sensor from the rest.. pls help, coz i think it make sense...

Upvote 0
This issue seems to be in a lot of samsung phones, although i guess its due to the software bugs rather because i never faced this problem in my ACE, the only similar bug i got was that at times the softkeys light up and at times they won't turn off even when i locked the phone, but a reboot always solved that.

I haven't experienced any of this since i switched to custom roms.

Upvote 0
I'm using a custom Rom
I use lock button widget.
No need to use button.
Solved:D

The lock widget doesn't solve the issue, its as same as using the power button, if the lights come on when using lock button, they will certainly come on using the widget, its just a substitute for the button.
I use the inbuilt CM power widget, saves using the power button, might even prolong the button's life. :p

Upvote 0
hey guys

I also had the same problem on my galaxy s3. I uninstalled few games and a navigator app and never got it again... I almost sure (though not 100%) that the navigator app (mapfactor navigator) caused the problem... Kinda bad cuz there is no google nav workin' here...so need to find another one... or just let it go hehe

Upvote 0
Dear All, there are one or more answers for this issue of screen blinking automatically.
1. In settings-Under wireless and networks-under wifi settings disable the network notification.
2. Download and install AIRPUSH from playstore. Run it and scan the mobile for the applications that cause problems because of the adds in it. Uninstall those application.
3. If you have installed any live wallpapers, do uninstall them.

Method 1 & 2 worked for most, n method 3 was the solution for few.. Try it..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones