• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen keeps turning on by itself?

hasbrobot

Android Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2009
Florida
Any one have any suggestions for tracking down a rogue app possibly causing my screen to turn on by itself? Is just lying on the table in front of me and sometimes it lights up without me touching it. Its getting annoying and I can't figure out what is causing it. Thank you for help in advance.

Thank you. After a reboot this is what I got. Location is turned off but why is maps so high?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353856503610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353856503610.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0
To look at the problem a different way try downloading the "System Tuner" application and look at the "Used CPU%" in the Task Manager with "System" and "Kernel" turned on in the bottom toolbar. In addition to usage by apps, System Tuner displays the usage of the individual processes within the Android OS.

Even if you aren't using them Maps and Google Services may be stuck in endless loops trying to establish your location. Try turning GPS off or on and go into Settings/Location Services and temporarily disable everything and go into Settings/Apps and temporarily disable Maps and everything else that uses location services.

Upvote 0
Well if you don't mind, I am going to list the apps i have installed. If there are any that you had before and don't now could you let me know? Hopefully it will bee helpful to others too.

8 tracks, adobe reader, aldiko, kindle, astro, audio manager pro, beautiful widgets, calwidget, dog catcher, drive, drop box, earth, evernote, evernote widget, Facebook, espn fantasy football, flixter, foozle, imdb, kobo, lux, mint.com, netflix, osmos hd, Pandora, pewpew, Reddit, skitch, songza, sound hound, stumbleupon tablified market, tasker, tweet deck, wattpad, zedge, and zombie evil

Thanks for taking a look, the drain in battery life is driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
Well if you don't mind, I am going to list the apps i have installed. If there are any that you had before and don't now could you let me know? Hopefully it will bee helpful to others too.

8 tracks, adobe reader, aldiko, kindle, astro, audio manager pro, beautiful widgets, calwidget, dog catcher, drive, drop box, earth, evernote, evernote widget, Facebook, espn fantasy football, flixter, foozle, imdb, kobo, lux, mint.com, netflix, osmos hd, Pandora, pewpew, Reddit, skitch, songza, sound hound, stumbleupon tablified market, tasker, tweet deck, wattpad, zedge, and zombie evil

If it helps, I don't have this problem, so you can rule out what we have in common:
Dropbox
Earth
Evernote (widget is part of the app)
Facebook
Tablified Market
Tweakdeck (notice the spelling, there is one for each spelling, double check if you're using exactly what you spelled out, or not)
Zedge

Upvote 0

I didn't reinstall the following. audio manager pro, beautiful widgets, Facebook, tablified market, calwidget is sticking out for some reason i had a hunch for a while that it had something to do with syncing with my Calender that was waking it.

Reactions: drabidea
Upvote 0
I had the same problem of the screen of my Samsung note 2 turning on for 3-6 seconds every 1 minute and it was draining my battery. I read so many posts on numerous forums. I tried the suggested remedies to no avail for 2 weeks. What solved the problem for me was when I did a hard reset (volume up, power button and home button) then I installed my apps in groups of 5 apps at a time to pinpoint if the problem would recur. After so much effort I was able to localize the culprit. The problem recurred after I installed a pedometer application (message me if you want the specific app name). After I uninstalled it, the recurring "waking up" of the screen was resolved and I have re installed all my other epps without any screen problems. I hope that helps...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones