• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Loose? You might wanna try this...

writhum

Nov 10, 2009
Central NY
There is a visible gap between the screen and keyboard on the lower left half portion of the phone. I know a good amount of people have complained about this. Anyway, the gap was pissing me off (you could feel it give when pressing down on the lower left of the screen) so I decided to try something:

-Black electrical tape
img7130g.jpg

-3 small cut strips, applied on top of each other to where the lower left part of the screen meets the bottom half of the phone
img7125s.jpg

-Bridges the gap
img7128b.jpg

-When closed, the tape is almost invisible.
img7124x.jpg

---The tape is less visible in person than it is in the picture...the flash brought out the tape a bit. The gap is gone, and when pressing on the bottom left part of the screen, there is no give. Easy fix, worked for me, hope this helps.

My entire screen was moving up and down and clicking, not just one corner. Took it back and got a new phone after 3 weeks. This one is solid after a week. Might try this mod anyway just to prevent the movement from happening in the future, plus I never open my phone so I won't see the tape.

Upvote 0
There is a visible gap between the screen and keyboard on the lower left half portion of the phone. I know a good amount of people have complained about this. Anyway, the gap was pissing me off (you could feel it give when pressing down on the lower left of the screen) so I decided to try something:

-Black electrical tape
img7130g.jpg

-3 small cut strips, applied on top of each other to where the lower left part of the screen meets the bottom half of the phone
img7125s.jpg

-Bridges the gap
img7128b.jpg

-When closed, the tape is almost invisible.
img7124x.jpg

---The tape is less visible in person than it is in the picture...the flash brought out the tape a bit. The gap is gone, and when pressing on the bottom left part of the screen, there is no give. Easy fix, worked for me, hope this helps.

Great idea. I may use a piece of Zagg or another screeen protector and cut to fit

Upvote 0
I don't have this problem, but I just might have a better idea for those that do. While the tape may be a temporary fix, it will most definitely want to come off sooner or later, meanwhile leaving goo behind.

What you may want to try is applying a few coats of clear fingernail polish*. Keep applying thin layers and letting it dry until you achieve just the right thickness. Sure it will wear off, then you just add some more. If you are neat about it, it will be practically invisible and surely less messy than when that tape peels off.

* Caution: You would want to test just a small dab to make sure the fingernail polish you have won't chemically react to the DROID's plastic and melt it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones