1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Screen not locked - just want to reset password

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by webmonkee, May 28, 2016.

1. webmonkee

webmonkee Lurker
    May 28, 2016

May 28, 2016
    I'll try to be detailed so I don't waste anyone's time. After a reboot, I had forgotten my password. So, I used Samsung's "Find my Mobile" to create an unlock PIN. I am now in my device, and my fingerprint scan works fine, so I am able to get into my device as needed. However, the PIN I used from Find my Mobile was apparently a one-time use sort of thing because it does not work as my backup method of unlocking the phone.

So, I went to settings on my device to try to change the password. Doing so forced me to enter my password, which I don't have. It also locked my phone. So, I used Samsung's Find my Mobile again and was back in my phone.

Thinking myself clever, I searched the interwebs. However, everything I could find about resetting the password is based upon being locked out of your device, which is not the case here. I thought I found something promising, so I went to android device manager and set a password using that tool. I thought that would reset my password on my device. However, that password does not unlock my phone or allow me to change the password. It appears to not do anything. I have no idea what it's for.

I also keep reading that I should get an "Unlock with google password" button if my password fails several times, but all that happens is I am forced to wait longer and longer before attempting again. Same deal with resetting the password from the device's settings. When I attempt to do that, it makes me wait longer and longer after each incorrect entry before I can attempt a new entry. I am now up to having to wait an hour before I even attempt to enter the old password. which, as stated, I don't remember anyway.

SO, what I want to do is reset the device password. Reset the password that lets me into my phone when the fingerprint sensor does not work. I don't want a one-time method into my phone. I want to permanently change the password on it. Can someone please tell me, in a detailed manner, how I can do this? At this point, I'm willing to master reset the device if that is the only option, but I sure hope there is another way.

Thank you very much for reading all of this and for sharing your expertise in solving.

Samsung Galaxy S6

The Samsung Galaxy S6 launched in 2015 as the company's flagship. It features a 5.1-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.