• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen not turning off when locked after charge

Hi everybody, my phone around 1-2 weeks ago got this weird behavior where after I insert the cable for charging or just for connecting it to the PC (which is recognised as charging status all the same) if I try to lock it manually, or even after the automatic locking timer, it will lock but the screen won't turn off.
The only temporary fix I've found for now is to shut it down (not reboot) and turn it on again, and it seems to be good again.

I already tried looking for similar cases and solutions on the internet and following those I already turned off all the smart lock features, but without any luck.

My major suspect was on Bixby routines, since I have a routine that enables the always on display while charging and it disables it once it's done. Unfortunately, while trying to prove my hypothesis by disabling said routine, the problem was still there, so I'm back to square one and I don't know what to do.

I would be very glad if anybody could help me figure this out. I don't know yet if it's something that has to do with Android or the particular model and some Samsung stuff.

Edit: I also tried booting my phone into safe mode but the issue persists, leading me to believe that it must be an Android bug, but I still have no solution

Last edited:
was this after an update? if so, it could have been either a bad download or a bad install....or both. a factory reset as @Dannydet suggested should fix your issue as it might just be a software bug. keep in mind this will erase your data so backup accordingly. also do not do a hard reset which is usually done by a button combo of power and vol buttons. a hard reset will trip FRP(factory reset protection) and you will need to enter the email and password used initally to setup the device. so if you do a hard reset make sure you know your account info before preceding. going into your phone's settings and doing a factory reset will not trip FRP.

Upvote 0
was this after an update? if so, it could have been either a bad download or a bad install....or both. a factory reset as @Dannydet suggested should fix your issue as it might just be a software bug. keep in mind this will erase your data so backup accordingly. also do not do a hard reset which is usually done by a button combo of power and vol buttons. a hard reset will trip FRP(factory reset protection) and you will need to enter the email and password used initally to setup the device. so if you do a hard reset make sure you know your account info before preceding. going into your phone's settings and doing a factory reset will not trip FRP.

Yeah, it probably was after an update. I'm not entirely sure because I only noticed it a couple of days after I did the update.
If I were to wait until the next update, would there be a chance that the it would fix the previous one or do I really need to do the factory reset? I'm just a bit hesitant to do the factory reset cause it's a bit of a pain to set it up again afterwards...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Check your developers options.
There is a setting in there that allows the screen to remain on during charging.

This may or may not be connected to the Bixby setting that you mentioned.
From further research I think it's due to the usb port being filthy or damaged, and it seems to be quite a common problem and one not solvable by factory reset. I just found this out by changing my search focus from the screen to the USB cable. I tried a rough/brief cleaning with a tissue and a stick but without much change. I'm still going with turning my phone off for the moment...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones