• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen off when laid down?

Foxspeed

Android Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2010
Just getting used to my new Pixel XL and so far so good. I previously had the Nexus 5X which was fine until it died last week (known common issues after Oreo update apparently)!
One thing I'm not sure about is the setting where I lay down my phone and the screen automatically shuts down but cannot find this on my Pixel. Any ideas?

Though if you leave it on auto brightness it should dim considerably when you put it face-down.

You could however try an automation app like Tasker or Macrodroid and see whether you can add the feature that way.

That is normal in almost every phone. As soon as a device detects if it is laid down onto a table, your device reconises it is no longer needed and so it automanicly puts it self on sleep mode. Almost every device has one of these features but not all.
Can you give some examples? I've never knowingly met a device with that feature.

Upvote 0
Though if you leave it on auto brightness it should dim considerably when you put it face-down.

You could however try an automation app like Tasker or Macrodroid and see whether you can add the feature that way.

Can you give some examples? I've never knowingly met a device with that feature.
My old S5 active had that feature. It was a bit buggy so it did not always reconise that it was placed faced down. But it worked okay.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones