1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen Off While Talking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Emgo, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Emgo

Emgo Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    The manual says

"During a call,the screen will turn off and the touchscreen will lock

Advertisement

2. john58ford

john58ford Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Electronics Technician/USCG
    Michigan
    Ken
    This is one of the bugs addressed in the build c771m080 update we all should have received about a month ago. Can you check and see if that's what it shows in your phone information screen? If not you should try to check for new updates manually. Note the update caused issues for many root users but you should be safe if you're non root. Also check to be sure your sensor is clean and not obstructed by a case or protector etc. If none of the above works you may have a bad prox/light sensor. Try enabling the auto brightness function in a well lit area. Cover and uncover the sensor with your thumb. You should see the screen dim when covered. If not try a battery pull, repeat the above and get back to us. I may be able to get you into sensor diagnosis mode through the dialer if necessary before you contact VZW for a replacement.

Emgo likes this.
  3. Emgo

Emgo Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    My software update says Casio_C771_M070ToM080. I

4. john58ford

john58ford Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Electronics Technician/USCG
    Michigan
    While in call with the 080 update when the sensor is covered it should within 15 seconds or so display: "The buttons are hidden while the proximity sensor detects objects. Do not cover the sensor with protective film or case." This screen will stay lit for fifteen seconds the first time the sensor is activated then dim black. This screen will stay lit for 30 seconds from then on when the sequence is repeated then dim black (I.E. you pulled the phone away to see how long a call was going on). When the sensor is activated (covered) you can also press the lock power key momentarily to imidiately dim the screen. It is not neccisary to press it again when the sensor is deactivated as the screen will automaticaly wake, also while the screen is dimmed either automaticaly or by the lock button the volume rocker still works. If you are multi tasking during a call (press the home key while in call and select a program) the sensor still acts in the above described way. As far as I can tell your sensor is fine, it doesn't do just as the book says as it was improved upon since the book was written. as for the shoulder>hang up button press deal, my guess would be that the phone is twisting just right on your ear to let light into the sensor.

Good luck, enjoy the phone and browse the forum, we have already covered many bases on this thing and feel free to add your $.02
    John

Emgo likes this.
  5. Emgo

Emgo Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    John,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I think you are correct, the phone is functioning as it should. The manual needs to be updated. I think it would usually work better for me if the screen locked as the manual describes. Sometimes I have to switch sides (holding the phone with my shoulder doesn