• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen on/off button..anyone else think the location is awkward?

spenspuma

Sep 24, 2009
I upgraded from a Hero to the Desire and one of the things I loved about the Hero was the 'kill screen' button located conveniently in the bottom right hand corner.

It meant you could quickly kill the screen if for example you were at work fiddling with phone then ya boss came over , u could casually click that button and screen would die. On the desire its at the top edge and is more awkward to switch it....even more so if you have a silicon case on as the case covers this button.

I also find it awkward when getting the phone out of standby....it just seams an odd place for HTC to have moved it....why did they move it?

Anyone else find it awkward?

Seems to be in the right place for me being a righty and usually holding the phone in my left hand when prodding, it makes it easy to unlock the phone one handed with my index finger while still keeping a good grip on the phone.

I think if the power button were at the bottom then I would struggle to do this with probably my little finger and would consequently have a poorer grip on the phone.

Upvote 0
Seems to be in the right place for me being a righty and usually holding the phone in my left hand when prodding, it makes it easy to unlock the phone one handed with my index finger while still keeping a good grip on the phone.

I think if the power button were at the bottom then I would struggle to do this with probably my little finger and would consequently have a poorer grip on the phone.

Nah....on the Hero the screen on/off button is where the search button is on the desire, surely u don't use your little finger for that??

The position just felt right on the Hero...AND the button wasn't covered with the silicon case

Upvote 0
Not had a hero so was just guessing where you were talking about. As mentioned above having the button at the top makes it easier if you use a pouch or keep the phone in a shirt pocket if you just want to quickly check the time or something. Probably just due to the fact that pretty much every other phone I have owned with a lock\power switch it has been at the top. Anyways to each his own :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones