• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loading black background on screen

2raaas

May 6, 2011
Hi people,

Can anyone help me, I'm going crazy!

Right I have a note 8 a few weeks old. Never been dropped etc. I put a black background(no pictures etc, just pure black) on my home screen. When I turn my screen brightness up to full, and look at my screen in the dark, the top of the screen looks faded(Browny yellow instead of black). I sent it in to samsung and they said there isn't a problem, but their obviously is! Could anyone please try this on their device for me please? Just put 'black image' into Google images and you will find loads of black images to try it with. Thanks in advance (has to be viewed in a dark room, because it's not noticeable in light and the screen brightness has to be full). Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind that their definition of "not a problem" will be "is within tolerances" rather than "flawless". So they may have found the same as you and concluded it was acceptable.

Have you tried with different dark images (or rotating the one you have), just to be sure it isn't a gradient within the image?

I don't have one of these devices so can't compare, but will be interested in the results (i.e. whether this is rare, common or consistent). In principle OLEDs should just be off when showing a truly black image, whatever brightness you set (it's usually grey backgrounds that show artifacts at low brightness), but it might be that the software hasn't interpreted the file correctly. Does it change if you change the colour profile settings?

Upvote 0
Except "burn in" shouldn't show in a completely black image.

AMOLED "burn in" is really "burn out": OLEDs lose brightness with use, so if you display the same image constantly at high brightness eventually those LEDs become less luminous. Then when you show a uniform image you can see the pattern of whatever was normally displayed there (status bar, navigation buttons, keyboards are the commonest) as a sort of negative image because those LEDs are less bright than their neighbours. So if the OP were seeing this on a white image (or grey, green or any uniform colour) I'd agree that's a possible. But when you are trying to show a completely black image the LEDs should be off, so the fact that some are less bright when turned on should make no difference.

(I'm assuming that if the image viewer still showed a status bar the OP would have told us. But if there are clock, signal bars and battery icon visible, and the problem is that the rest of that bar isn't as black as the rest of the image then that would just mean that the software was drawing a status bar that isn't quite black).

Reactions: Daniel Fernandes
Upvote 0
Hi people,

Can anyone help me, I'm going crazy!

Right I have a note 8 a few weeks old. Never been dropped etc. I put a black background(no pictures etc, just pure black) on my home screen. When I turn my screen brightness up to full, and look at my screen in the dark, the top of the screen looks faded(Browny yellow instead of black). I sent it in to samsung and they said there isn't a problem, but their obviously is! Could anyone please try this on their device for me please? Just put 'black image' into Google images and you will find loads of black images to try it with. Thanks in advance (has to be viewed in a dark room, because it's not noticeable in light and the screen brightness has to be full). Thanks in advance.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG-20171212-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20171212-WA0020.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-20171212-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20171212-WA0018.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG-20171212-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20171212-WA0019.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones