• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protector discussion

Which Screen Protector is your favourite?

• Anymode Oleophobic

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Pro-Tec

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • MFX 5-in-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Fields

• Case-Mate Anti-Glare

• Zagg Invisible Shield

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • 3M Scotch Film Lite Matte

• 3M Scotch Film Lite

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rock Anti-Fingerprint

• Terrapin

• Kolay

• FoneM8

• Vikuiti CV8 by 3M

• Vikuiti ADQC27 by 3M

• Vikuiti DQC160 by 3M

• GadgetinBox

• BAAS Matte Clear (Anti-Glare)

• Trizmo Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • MOFRED

• Steinheil

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • XO Skins

• Skinomi

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I don't think they're important now that we have corning gorilla glass on everything. These screens can be used to hammer nails into wood without even a scratch appearing on the screen.

Maybe, but if you google gorilla glass and screen protector you will find a LOT of forum posts from people with phones that had gorilla glass and got scratched and those people saying from now on they will always use a screen protector.

The question is how much better GG2 is and is it just that it's thinner/lighter, or is it also more scratch resistant.

Out of curiosity, I removed my screen protector from my Atrix in March, and since then have not gotten a scratch. I keep it in my pocket, but typically don't have anything else in that pocket that would scratch a screen, so it hasn't been exposed to much.

Upvote 0
Maybe, but if you google gorilla glass and screen protector you will find a LOT of forum posts from people with phones that had gorilla glass and got scratched and those people saying from now on they will always use a screen protector.

The question is how much better GG2 is and is it just that it's thinner/lighter, or is it also more scratch resistant.

Out of curiosity, I removed my screen protector from my Atrix in March, and since then have not gotten a scratch. I keep it in my pocket, but typically don't have anything else in that pocket that would scratch a screen, so it hasn't been exposed to much.

I had my Galaxy S2 from September 2011 until today (sold it today) - it didn't have a single scratch. Never had a screen protector for it.

I keep my phone in one pocket and wallet, keys etc in the other.

I think gg2 is just thinner and lighter. That's all they mentioned when they introduced it.

Upvote 0
Steinheil Steinheil Steinheil.

GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones

Maybe Gorilla Glass doesn't NEED a screen protector, but if something that costs $14 and has zero effect on the usability of the phone (and mitigates smudges) is at all helpful in protecting something that will cost me $600 to replace, I say why the heck not?

How "rubbery" do their protectors feel? That is one of the things I don't like about the Zagg ones.

Also, I can state that my first captivate, which also had gorilla glass, was scratched. So don't discount the possibility.

Upvote 0

Maybe Gorilla Glass doesn't NEED a screen protector, but if something that costs $14 and has zero effect on the usability of the phone (and mitigates smudges) is at all helpful in protecting something that will cost me $600 to replace, I say why the heck not?

Your logic is impeccable. :)

Reactions: mthoren68
Upvote 0

Because the screen looks dull, most of them rubbish in daylight as they're highly reflective and the screen is really strong and easy to wipe fingerprints off anyway! Pretty sure it has an oleophobic coating :)

Upvote 0
How "rubbery" do their protectors feel? That is one of the things I don't like about the Zagg ones.

Also, I can state that my first captivate, which also had gorilla glass, was scratched. So don't discount the possibility.
Zagg are terrible. I really have no idea how anyone uses them.

A Steinheill, or my personal preference, Realook, really feel like there's nothing there at all.

I still think the screen doesn't look as good as with no protector, but there are many choices that don't feel rubbery. Once a realook is on, you won't even realize it's there.

Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is great, though not totally unscratchable so a screen protector covers the 1% of the time that GG doesn't cover. But, another reason for adding a screen protector is that it actually helps in case the phone is dropped without a case on it. The screen protector can act like a big piece of tape holding the glass together minimizing the chance of shattering when dropped. At least that's what I saw in a video once...

Reactions: Theshape
Upvote 0
I had a screen protector on my Dinc until a few months ago. My phone still has no scratches on it, however, I get annoyed else with the fingerprints and overall dirty look of the screen now that was not noticeable with the screen protector on. I plan on getting one for the S III again, I am just terrible putting them on and give up quickly. :(

I to my friend am horrible at putting on screen protectors so I always just take them to Best Buy & have them put it on for me. Sometimes they charge you & sometimes they don't.

Upvote 0

I agree the Zaggs feel rubbery, that is one of the reasons I like the Steinheil. It feels 99% like the glass. Plus there are 3-4 options (at least there were for the Dinc) re: finish/appearance/primary function. And they go on dry/with no solution, unlike some others. I have the Crystal on my Dinc currently and love how it feels, and it does not diminish the quality of the display at all.

Upvote 0
Three hints for putting on a screen protector. 1) Watch a YouTube video. If you haven't put one on before, watching someone else do it is very helpful. 2) Do it in the bathroom after running the shower for a few minutes. It knocks the dust out of the air and makes it easier to appy the screen protector without getting anything caught between it and the screen. 3) TAKE YOUR TIME. I am an impatient bastard, but slowing down and taking your time on this one thing beats looking at your screen and gnashing your teeth for the next 1-2 years because you weren't careful and didn't get it on right.

Upvote 0
But, another reason for adding a screen protector is that it actually helps in case the phone is dropped without a case on it. The screen protector can act like a big piece of tape holding the glass together minimizing the chance of shattering when dropped. At least that's what I saw in a video once...

this is the best reason I have read so far in this thread for a screen protector.

Personally I never have anything else in my pocket with my phone - it has its own pocket, and I had my Desire for 2 years and never got a single scratch.

Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is great, though not totally unscratchable so a screen protector covers the 1% of the time that GG doesn't cover. But, another reason for adding a screen protector is that it actually helps in case the phone is dropped without a case on it. The screen protector can act like a big piece of tape holding the glass together minimizing the chance of shattering when dropped.

I feel the same way -- I know the display is *virtually* impervious, but if I can make the chance of damage substantially less likely without noticeably impacting performance, and at minimal cost, I'll do it. Very interesting theory on protector-as-tape... anybody want to test that? :D

Personally I never have anything else in my pocket with my phone - it has its own pocket, and I had my Desire for 2 years and never got a single scratch.

Same here with my DInc, it always travels alone while my wallet and keys bunk together. :cool:

Three hints for putting on a screen protector.... 2) Do it in the bathroom after running the shower for a few minutes. It knocks the dust out of the air and makes it easier to appy the screen protector without getting anything caught between it and the screen.

Awesome tip, thanks! Never thought of doing this, and dust is my nemesis. :mad:

Upvote 0
/sigh

Keys, coins... they can't scratch the screen. Check your hardness scale and where most metal comes in, and where Gorilla glass is. You will find that most every day objects you think are a risk, can't do a darn thing to it.

Now what you should worry about is sand, or silica. Found at beaches, and in dirt. It is easy to get a little dirt somewhere and scratch that screen.

This is why you see all these videos of people running keys and such on their phones, they know it won't hurt it at least in most cases. I tend to roll with a protector, if you get a good one it keeps the screen in good shape and it is easier to replace than the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones