• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telescopist

Lurker
Dec 29, 2013
Note: I did take a look at other similar threads before posting this... I picked up a Note 3 at Best Buy a week ago. It rocks. The sales rep highly recommended a screen protector despite the fact that the phone uses gorilla glass. I had previously owned a Razr MAXX for over 2 years. It also had gorilla glass -despite lots of abuse like sliding the phone in and out of pockets that also contained car keys, etc., I never got a scratch on the glass. The sale rep claims that the pen will scratch the glass if it is pressed down on it too hard. Despite my skepticism about this claim, I went ahead and purchased the $25 screen protector. Can't recall the brand since he did the install. I've already had to go back and get the screen protector replaced because of bubbles and I need to go back again. My question is: Do I really need to screen protector because of the pen?

The sale rep claims that the pen will scratch the glass if it is pressed down on it too hard. I've already had to go back and get the screen protector replaced because of bubbles and I need to go back again. My question is: Do I really need to screen protector because of the pen?

I don't see anything like a pen scratching the glass. I used to keep my iPhone in the top zipper of my back pack with keys grinding on it and the front never saw a mark. The Note 3 has true Gorilla Glass and thus is even more resistant.

That said, for the Note 3 I bought Bodyguardz Tempered glass just because it's 110% perfect when mounted and you can't tell it's even there. No more sticky plastic covers for me. None. Once you see it installed and use it, you won't go back. It's scratch proof to no end and offers some pretty tough protection of it's own in terms of taking a hit.

Upvote 0
It's just my personal opinion that screen protectors are overkill. I put one on my Note 2 & in less than 2 weeks I removed it. Not once did I get a scratch on the screen & recently sold it in the same condition it was in the day it launched.

I don't have any forseeable plans to put one on the Note 3. I use the S-Pen that came with it- also I use my BT S-Pen. It's become my practice though; many phones ago, to not put my phone in the same pockets with coins & keys. It's not just the screen I don't want scratched but the entire phone for resale reasons.

Upvote 0
Hi there! I like buying my gadgets from BB because if I have a problem, it's easy to go back and get it resolved (as opposed to buying online for example). When I had to exchange my MBP last year, it was very simple and painless. But, I've noticed they love to push various add ons and accessories.

I haven't used a screen protector in years. I like to go bare glass. :D Things like keys, coins, and certainly your S Pen, shouldn't scratch the screen. I've seen enough scratch test videos and had enough experience to believe that. The major thing we have to be careful of is sand - that will scratch the screen. The only time I've ever scratched my display was when I dropped my 4S on the floor of my car. I ended up with a small scratch that was only visible upon close inspection.

Upvote 0
I don't see anything like a pen scratching the glass. I used to keep my iPhone in the top zipper of my back pack with keys grinding on it and the front never saw a mark. The Note 3 has true Gorilla Glass and thus is even more resistant.

That said, for the Note 3 I bought Bodyguardz Tempered glass just because it's 110% perfect when mounted and you can't tell it's even there. No more sticky plastic covers for me. None. Once you see it installed and use it, you won't go back. It's scratch proof to no end and offers some pretty tough protection of it's own in terms of taking a hit.

Thanks for your response and the link to Bodyguardz. I will read up on it. I am also looking at another product called Screenmate Flex.

Upvote 0
I just want to say I don't like screen protectors. I end up taking them off. Why would I put something on my screen that make it "well" shitty lol. However I was at Verizon store and they showed me a glass screen proctor. I broke down and tried it. I love it ha ha It feel just like my screen no bubbles ect it was easy to install don't let the people at Verizon install!!! I took it home cleaned the screen with spray and just placed the screen protector on, that was it no fuss at all. I love it. To me it doesn't make the screen hardly any bulkier and I'm picky all features work really well and you would never know I have one on

Upvote 0
I just want to say I don't like screen protectors. I end up taking them off. Why would I put something on my screen that make it "well" shitty lol. However I was at Verizon store and they showed me a glass screen proctor. I broke down and tried it. I love it ha ha It feel just like my screen no bubbles ect it was easy to install don't let the people at Verizon install!!! I took it home cleaned the screen with spray and just placed the screen protector on, that was it no fuss at all. I love it. To me it doesn't make the screen hardly any bulkier and I'm picky all features work really well and you would never know I have one on

I've gotten used to my ZAGG Invisibile Shield too. They have to be applied correctly. A number of people on and off this list think that the Screen Mate Flex is the cats meow. Version 9H is made of 'premium tempered glass'. The 8H out of 'tempered glass with an oleophobic coating'. The differences beyond the two version or what the implications are of having an oleophobic coating have alluded me...at least for the moment.

Upvote 0
to answer the OP.. NO.. the SPen will NOT scratch your glass. I hate salesreps that use bad info to make a sale!!!

glass in general.. is one of the hardest materials.
only something as hard or harder can scratch a material.
Gorilla Glass is tempered to be more scratch resistant than normal glass.

spen, keys, knives, razor blades, crap in your pocket/purse/bag.. are NOT as hard as glass.

sand is glass.. so that is what you need to be careful of. (sand = small broken pieces of glass with sharp edges)
and of course diamonds. don't put loose diamonds in your pocket!!!

Upvote 0
Note: I did take a look at other similar threads before posting this... I picked up a Note 3 at Best Buy a week ago. It rocks. The sales rep highly recommended a screen protector despite the fact that the phone uses gorilla glass. I had previously owned a Razr MAXX for over 2 years. It also had gorilla glass -despite lots of abuse like sliding the phone in and out of pockets that also contained car keys, etc., I never got a scratch on the glass. The sale rep claims that the pen will scratch the glass if it is pressed down on it too hard. Despite my skepticism about this claim, I went ahead and purchased the $25 screen protector. Can't recall the brand since he did the install. I've already had to go back and get the screen protector replaced because of bubbles and I need to go back again. My question is: Do I really need to screen protector because of the pen?

I think it's not required to install screen protector but it'll be better if you can use it. You know that all screen protectors are not same. I used so many screen protectors , but most of them are damaged because of the pen or somehow scratched.

Few days ago I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-Gal...l_Phone_Screen_Protectors&hash=item2a315a1f18

It's giving great service as good as others. It's so cheap and it's in glossy. That's why it's not damaging or scratching because of pen.

Upvote 0
I too doubt that a pen will ever scratch this screen, but I also agree that the protection you get from that potential rock-on-the-screen, if you drop it face-down in a parking lot, is worth the cost. I'm using the Spigen GLAStR 9H with rounded edges, and that one just looks cool, too. Beveled edges give it a great look, and the glass retains that green tint of the screen itself --- reminds me of my old 35mm SLR Minolta Rokkor glass lenses.

Upvote 0
It's likely, they upsold you on the invisible shield, which I've always felt was way overrated and there have been a lot of products that outshine Invisible Shield (e.g. Zagg) nowadays.

Personally, if I've gone back even once to replace a screen protector and I need to go back for a 2nd time, I just try to get a refund.

Nowadays, there is only one type of screen protector I recommend...Tempered Glass Screen protector. I took a gamble and tried an ultra-thin tempered glass protector from ebay, for $7, and that has been on of my best accessory gambles for any of my smartphones.

If you're a little more "cautious" about where you are buying and/or what you are buying, SGP (Spigen) makes a couple of great tempered glass options. I will never, in the future, go back to using a regular screen protector (either naked or tempered glass, for me).

Upvote 0
I think, Note 3 LCD maybe not easy to scratch, but, once it gets scratch, replacing a protectors will be easier to fix a LCD. In the past, I use regular protectors, but, after using Glass protectors, I cannot get back to normal one, the glass one just feeling as original LCD, you can use Note 3 daily without worrying. It is worth.
Glass protectors, there has 0.15mm-0.45mm on the market, you can choose among from different brands, for me, I am using 0.2mm one from Brando, Brando Workshop 0.2mm Premium Tempered Glass Protector (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) .
You can also find from other websites for different brands and different pricing range, but, remember to choose those with real glass, not plastic! Moreover, with Oleophobic Coating, very good for cleaning :)

I got the brando Premium tempered glass also. I had a perfect "install drop". no dust. but the bottom right corner would NOT stick. I carefully removed and cleaned again. No dice. They sent out a new replacement. Today I tried to install. A PERFECT drop again. no dust. this time, the entire right side is not sticking. about 1cm from the top to the bottom. I clearfully removed, cleaned again with alcohol/microfiber etc. dried. another perfect drop. it sticks everywhere execpt for that far right side.

I'm wondering if my luck is just that bad. could my Note 3 display be flawed and not actually flat on that edge? What the heck?

I can see the line along the entire right side in the photo

thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• brandp2_020314.jpg
    brandp2_020314.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
I doubt if the problem is with your phone screen.

I've totally given up on screen protectors years ago as I could never achieve a perfect install. But the emergence of these tempered glass ones have made me reconsider, thinking that these would be easier to install versus the plastic ones. Your experience now makes me rethink again...

Upvote 0
Well, finally took the jump tonight and got a tempered glass screen protector. Was vacillating on getting one online, a 9H, and installing it myself, or just going to a mall kiosk and have it done professionally.

Finally decided on the kiosk and had it installed by their staff. They only had an 8H, but all other features are there like oleophobic coating, etc.

Was surprised that the guy took less than five minutes to align and install it. He just used the included cleaner for the screen before applying the glass itself and didn't bother with the blue tape included to remove dust and other debris.

Was amused that after he lined the bottom part where the home button is, the glass seemed to apply itself and adhere to the screen automatically, without bubbles. Guess he's had a lot of practice. I wouldn't dare do it myself still, with the price of these things.

Upvote 0
My friend was able to put big nasty scratches on his n3 the first day. I thought of this thread as I was looking at it. He had keys against the screen in front jeans pocket.

interesting...

I think there is something missing...
I have tested this myself. keys, razors, screwdrivers... cant scratch my screens.

I bet there was something else in that pocket.. maybe some glass jewelry on the key chain? or sand .. something else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones