1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen Protectors - do you plan to get/use one?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CmdrBond, Aug 14, 2019.

1. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting the Whitestone Dome, but wondered what your thoughts were on the matter.

I'm not a fan of plastic screen protectors, and as soon as the WSD turns up I'll be replacing the factory installed protector.

So what's your choice?

1. None?
    2. Plastic?
    3. Glass?
    4. Folio/Flip case?
    5. Holster/Pouch?
    6. Other?

carbon facial likes this.
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

zagg shield glass......when it is out.

MrJavi and carbon facial like this.
  3. marctronixx

Note a fan of them. Last time I used one was for the Evo years and years ago. Tech and gorilla glass have improved and screen protectors are no longer necessary in my world.

4. ocnbrze

i agree, but i'm getting a $1300 phone........i want the best protection for this baby.

MrJavi, carbon facial and CmdrBond like this.
  5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Never again.I don't usually have pockets full of sand anymore. My last two phones have been key resistant and that's working well for me.
    I'd still recommend a case though. :thinking:

carbon facial and ocnbrze like this.
  6. CmdrBond

I hear ya!

Well I do. We're very close to the beach, and that's where we walk our dog, so sand is a BIG issue for me.

MrJavi, ocnbrze and dontpanicbobby like this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Hmm...

Wait for sapphire.
    That screen is big though...
    Polymer if you change every month @CmdrBond.

8. CmdrBond

Who makes sapphire glass screen protectors?

I hate plastic screens, will only use glass protectors.

9. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Uhmm
    Samsung?

10. CmdrBond

You sure? Can you send me a link?

Because I've searched and am only coming up with ZAGG Sapphire Glass Invisible Shield, which also doesn't appear to be true sapphire glass...

Also, I've recently found out the 9H rating of most Glass protectors refers to the ASTM Pencil Hardness scale, NOT the MOHS scale.

No tempered glass has a true MOHS above 7, most are around 5, so all will scratch from quartz (sand). Sapphire however shouldn't, but finding a true sapphire screen is virtually impossible I believe - and would certainly be pricy.

carbon facial likes this.
  11. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I'll give you all that @CmdrBond.
    So do what I do. Use a case
    Do you really look at the back of your phone alot?

12. CmdrBond

This is an interesting video -

Based on that, the Sapphire does look like it has AMAZING drop protection, but PISS POOR scratch protection.

No, and I am going to be using a case, but no amount of lip on a case will protect against a pointy stone when it lands screen down.

I also use my phone in car, and am not happy with using a folio case for that reason, and the bulk when holding in the hand. Hence wanting a screen protector

MrJavi, carbon facial and ocnbrze like this.
  13. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I have yet to encounter a stone in my ear @CmdrBond.
    Do you wear an earring?

14. CmdrBond

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or just not reading what I write?

I wrote "but no amount of lip on a case will protect against a pointy stone when it lands screen down"

As you see, I'm talking about dropping it!

While I avoid dropping phones at all costs, second to the corners, the screen coming into contact with a raised hard object is the most common cause of cracking.

Corners can be solved with a case, but screen down has to be a protector.

Plastic protectors offer the best impact protection, but they aren't as clear (generally) or as slick to use. I've had noticeable drag on all plastic protectors. They also scratch REALLY easily.

Glass protectors, on the other hand, break a lot more easily, but give better day to day usage feel. And don't scratch as easily.

No glass protector is going to be fully scratch resistant, especially when sand is about. But I'm dropping £1,200 GBP ~$1,550 USD on this, so would rather replace glass screen protectors than have the main display scratched up.

I have decided to go with the Whitestone Dome too, as it should work with the fingerprint scanner, unlike most glass protectors, due to the installation process.

If it's anything like the iphone one reviewed here, I think the day-to-day use and feel will also be worth it.

I'm getting the 2 pack from Amazon for £50 GBP ~$60 USD, if only they sold the glass and glue separately like SGFRESHIDEA do (but I don't trust the latter company as much as they come over as a cheap imitator...https://www.sgfreshidea.com/samsung/note-series/galaxy-note-9-accessories.html (they don't have Note 10 stuff yet either).

15. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I guess there are not enough pointy stones in Boston to make me care.
    Glaicers smoothed things out around here a few millenia ago.

16. olbriar

olbriar  

No screen protector for me. I hate all I have ever tried. Nothing goes in my phone pocket so it sees no abrasions. I've never dropped a phone so I'm not concerned about that either. If I was that concerned about messing up my phone, I'd purchase insurance to protect it.

17. today

today Android Expert

Plastic carpet runners on brand new carpet never really work as intended. Same with plastic covers for a new couch. I spent 40 dollars on a glass screen protector and it cracked within a week. I'll take my chances and enjoy the smooth interaction of a gorilla glass screen completely void of hindrance.

carbon facial and shubh1ghosh like this.
  18. ocnbrze

well i'm definitely getting a screen protector. i took the phone out of my pocket to answer a call............and man did my note catch air.....it landed face down on my tiled floor. it flew pretty high that when it landed it cracked the screen protector and then my zaag screen protector slide of the face of the phone and skidded around on my floor. my note 8 was intact with no damage.....thank the maker, but the protector needs replacing which of course i'm not doing as my brand new shiny phone will be arriving soon.

so this convinces me that.....yes i do need a screen protector and that i also need a good case to protect it.

obtuse!!!!!!! that's it.........LOL and yes deliberately.

19. marctronixx

Ive got a 2000 dollar 12.9 LTE 1TB iPad Pro with no screen protector. Had it since launch in November. Still looks like it just was unboxed.

My point is in MY world I dont need them and they dont work for me. I have 3 note 9s (not for long :p) since launch and still look flash fresh. All depends on your environment and how you handle your devices.

carbon facial, CmdrBond and ocnbrze like this.
  20. CmdrBond

Indeed, environment is key.

As it happens, I probably wouldn't get a screen protector OR case for a tablet, because that works stay at home.

But my phone is with me at all times. Belt pouches and holsters are awkward as I'm a driver, wear a bum-bag/fanny-pack filled with work gear, and it's a huge device.

I've had my phone slip lot my shirt pocket as I bent over to deploy a wheelchair ramp!

carbon facial and marctronixx like this.
  21. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Maybe I should have said tempered glass screen protectors @CmdrBond...
    Sapphire screen protectors were a mix with very little Sapphire.
    If Zagg doesn't have a domed tempered glass screen protector for the Note 10, they will after the latest Note series is released.

All that hmming and humming was me being obtuse.

22. CmdrBond

The problem with tempered glass, except for the offering from Whitestone and SGFreshIdeas is that the in screen fingerprint reader won't work due to the micro gaps.

There are some hybrid screen protectors out there that might work, but I've purchased the Whitestone Dome kit. Should be here any day.

23. carbon facial

carbon facial Lurker

what actually should I do? Anybody have the experiency?

24. ocnbrze

get a screen protector

CmdrBond likes this.
  25. CmdrBond

I've preferr the Whitestone as I don't like plastic protectors.

But plastic protectors SHOULD work with the fingerprint scanners.

The only standard glass protector I've seen that claims to work with the S10 is Flolab's, but they don't have a Note 10 yet.

https://flolab.io/collections/glass-screen-protectors/galaxy-s10

And I can't find any S10 specific reviews for it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 release date was August 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 8GB RAM, Exynos 9825 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

August 2019
Release Date
Reviews