• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen protectors for the RAZR MAXX HD

I ordered a 6 pack of protectors from eBay for $2.95...we'll see.

I love the (screen off) look and smudge resistance of anti glare, but love the quality of the clear protectors, wish I could have both.

I ordered clears, I'll post thoughts later.

I have The Verizon display protectors on now and do like them. I had Steinheil Ultra crystals on my X and liked that the best. Just ordered some Wrapsol to try. Still had the 40% discount so we'll see which I like best.

Just fyi, I had tried some anti-glare screen protectors a couple phone back and only had them on for a month or so. Didn't like them at all.

Upvote 0
I have The Verizon display protectors on now and do like them. I had Steinheil Ultra crystals on my X and liked that the best. Just ordered some Wrapsol to try. Still had the 40% discount so we'll see which I like best.

Just fyi, I had tried some anti-glare screen protectors a couple phone back and only had them on for a month or so. Didn't like them at all.

You might have yours before I get mine. The holiday week and ground means I won't get them til friday.

Upvote 0
You might have yours before I get mine. The holiday week and ground means I won't get them til friday.

No, you'll definately get yours first. Besides the 40% discount, they had free shipping if you purchased $29.99. But.... free shipping to continental USA only, not Alaska or Hawaii. I live in Hawaii, so I had them shipped to Sacramento where my daughter goes to college. I going there on 12/12 because she's graduating and I'll get them then. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Yes, I think it is necessary. Gorilla Glass doesn't make it scratch proof, it's just less likely to get scratched by small things. Kinda like how stainless steel isn't stain proof. I don't have any noticeable scratches yet but I want to keep it that way.

I've seen micro scratches on gorilla glass from a couple days of use. Screen protector day 1.

I'll take your guys' word.

I got some zaggs, since they had 50% off.

Upvote 0
I always find this conversation fascinating. Are the Zagg HD protectors really that great? I mean, $25 for one little piece of mylar plastic seems wicked expensive. I'm an old guy that carries his phone around in his shirt pocket with nothing else in the pocket so I shouldn't be getting scratches anyway, especially with the Gorilla Glass. That said, I still like some type of screen protector but I've always gone with the stock Verizon three-pack offerings as they are relatively cheap and do the job well. I had them on my iPhone for three years and each time I would remove one (they would last almost a year before starting to show wear) the glass looked brand new.

I also like the idea of even just a little bit of impact resistance should I drop the phone. I know it wouldn't provide much but any would be helpful. I almost never drop my phone. But I also do not carry it in any sort of case either.

For those that have used the stock Verizon three-pack screen protectors and hate them, can you express why or at least what it is that you hate about them? And for those that have gone over to the Zaggs, what is it you love so much about them? Especially those that have gone from the stock Verizon to the Zagg - what are your thoughts? Is the Zagg really worth so much more?

Upvote 0
For those that have used the stock Verizon three-pack screen protectors and hate them, can you express why or at least what it is that you hate about them? And for those that have gone over to the Zaggs, what is it you love so much about them? Especially those that have gone from the stock Verizon to the Zagg - what are your thoughts? Is the Zagg really worth so much more?

This would be me. I started off with the stock VZW anti-glare shields and hated them, but that was all that was out at that point so I had no choice. You have this nice HD screen and the VZW shields made everything fuzzy. It was a huge difference between no screen and anti-glare VZW. I could not wait to get them off of my phone, but temp bad protection was better than no protection for me.

I had ZAGG on my old X and was not a fan of it because of the texture it had. So when I upgraded to the OG RAZR I went over to Ghost Armor and liked it much better than the ZAGG. So when I got the MAXX HD I wanted to continue with the GH, but the kiosks here changed hands and had a different name and I just got a bad feeling about the kiosk (and the GH is not made as a HD screen procector). So I found out that ZAGG has the HD screen proctectors for the MAXX HD and was happy. I had seen how great these were on other phones - no more orange peel texture and the HD screen looked good. So I went with this and love it. I really can not tell I have a screen protector on. I know I will soon when it takes a few dings but still - wow. I really can not express how much I like these ZAGG HD shields. And if you are really that worried - ask about the return policy for the shield from the place you are getting it from.

Plus ZAGG had a lifetime warrantry. You can do a swap by mail for like $5 shipping or if you have a ZAGG kiosk in your mall you can do a free swapout there with no issues. So think of it like that, you spend a little more upfront but get a quality product with free lifetime swap outs. Worth it to me 100%.

Upvote 0
This would be me. I started off with the stock VZW anti-glare shields and hated them, but that was all that was out at that point so I had no choice. You have this nice HD screen and the VZW shields made everything fuzzy. It was a huge difference between no screen and anti-glare VZW. I could not wait to get them off of my phone, but temp bad protection was better than no protection for me.

I have the stock VZW ones as well and this is pretty much the jest of it. They make everything fuzzy and they just feel weird.

Upvote 0
I have never used the Zagg ones. Right now I have the one that came with my Trident Aegis case and it is just fine for me. I think there is a big difference between the anti-glare ones and "regular" ones. The anti glare seems to take away some of the beauty of the screen. The regular ones seem better. But I have never used any "premium" screen protectors so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Just my 2¢

Upvote 0
I used the regular Verizon screen protector on my Droid X. I think it looks and feels pretty similar to the glass. The amazing thing is that I've only used one protector the whole time I've owned the phone - over two years. It's starting to show around the edges now, so I'll probably change it soon. I still have two unused ones, after all!

BTW, do the anti-glare protectors help make the screen more readable in bright light?

Upvote 0
I just installed the Skinomi screen protector. It doesn't have the orange peel or the tacky feeling of the original Zagg. I have not tested the new Zagg HD. Best of all, I bought mine for $5.99 on their Amazon home page, with lifetime replacement guarantee.

There were some dimples and "softness" to the plastic after initial installation, but after 2 days, I can't tell it's even there anymore. For the price, it's definitely a great product.

Upvote 0
I just installed the standard VZW anti-glare screen protector (see: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd/659542-thos-pesky-screen-protectors.html ) and I honestly don't see any difference to the screen. It feels very glasslike and the colors/resolution are the same as before.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't quite go all the way to the edges and has a cutout for the front-facing camera (is that really necessary) on both sides and for the Motorola so you can see the edge, especially along the top.

Those of you who don't like the Verizon protectors, what makes the others better?

Upvote 0
I just installed the standard VZW anti-glare screen protector (see: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd/659542-thos-pesky-screen-protectors.html ) and I honestly don't see any difference to the screen. It feels very glasslike and the colors/resolution are the same as before.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't quite go all the way to the edges and has a cutout for the front-facing camera (is that really necessary) on both sides and for the Motorola so you can see the edge, especially along the top.

Those of you who don't like the Verizon protectors, what makes the others better?

Wet vs dry application. The VZW or dry ones will have bubbles on the side of them after time.

I usually go naked now, but the wet ones won't have the little lift off bubbles on the side like the VZW dry ones over time.

Upvote 0

If you have two phones side by side you'll notice a difference. With the Verizon anti-glare it gives the phone a matte type finish on the screen. Where with a clear protector it's like a gloss type finish. I had the Verizon ones ordered the Wrapsol protectors and have ended up with the Zagg HD protector.

I have never liked the Verizon ones. Which is why I ordered the Wrapsol protectors. But when I got them for my two phones put the first one on and there was a small imperfection on it that looked like maybe a hair had gotten under it. I pulled the protector up and used tape to try and get it off to no avail. So just removed it and went to the second one. When I installed it there ended up being a spot right below where the grips pull off on the protector. I tried to smooth it out but it ended up denting it where it wouldn't come out. Where it seemed to have good clarity I determined that I just really didn't like the dry application.

So I then went to best buy and saw the Zagg HD ones. Had seen some comment here about them. And I must say they are great. They are truly about as close to the SGP protectors I came to really prefer. As much as I hate doing a wet install on my phone it really seems to be the best in order to get a true perfect alignment without any bubbles .

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback. I had a Verizon regular (not non-glare) screen protector on the DX and I never had any bubbles. One lasted the entire two years and the edges were starting to show. I just changed it out for a new one. You can't see the edges at all on the new one.

As for wet/dry. One of the tips I read was to actually put a small drop of 90% (?) rubbing alcohol on the screen while installing the film. I didn't try that but I was able to apply it without any bubbles (after many attempts) and I don't expect any to appear, judging by the performance with the DX.

I didn't notice any difference in screen clarity after I installed the film but next time I'm in the mall I'll compare my screen with one that has the Zagg protector to see whether there's any difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones