• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen protectors - gorilla glass, is it enough?

shane17

Apr 19, 2012
have a galaxy note i717 and i want to take care of it well as im sure any of you android lovers would agree, so i thought a discussion about our screens would be good. Apparently thess new phones have gorilla glass and i watcgex a you tube video showing a stress test and they look mucg stronger, which is good but how do they hold up for scratches? Iv been hearing so much about acreen protectors both good and bad and am confused about them. Are they worth it are they needed? I spent a good part of the weekend researching them and realized there aee quality made screen protectors, atleast compared to the cheap ones lol. Like the SGP Steinhields protectors, pretty suee i spelt that wronv but you get the point. They actually make this glass scren protector that you put on top of the pohne but its verg e pensive and you only get one shot.... Are these necessary for new phone. Does anyone have any comments bout the glass protectors? Does anyone have any comments bout the glass protectors? Oh and noo sales men allowed lol jk but really lets keep it real.***

I have tested a gorilla glass screen before using a screwdriver and a razor and no scratches and I am a cart pusher and when I used my Motorola Triumph as my main phone (which has a GG screen) it never broken even though I would push up against carts with it and such. So IMO Gorilla Glass don't need a screen protector, but if you don't feel comfortable leaving the glass bare then you always could get a screen protector.

Upvote 0
I have an Atrix 4G and have a screen protector. Do I need it? Probably not. I have seen family members with cracked and scratched up screens. So for a little insurance, which only cost like $25, I choose to install one. My logic is this, it would cost well over a hundred dollars to replace my screen or I could try and live with the scratches/cracks. It should be noted, that I have an Outterbox Commuter case too.

Upvote 0
Yea thanks for all the replies iv been using the phone alot and have had no scratches on it. this gureilla glass is tough! I ended up going with a case over the screen protector. the case i got is great it covers the entire phone and protects it well. besides the stylis pen doesnt like thescreen protectors, and i heard the pen leaves nasty marks on the screen protector.

Upvote 0
HAHA! I'd get a protector ASAP! I have had the supposedly amazing gorilla glass RAZR, and in less than a month two of my screens have cracked, not scratched but cracked, one so bad it won't even show the screen anymore, and that one only fell from couch to floor and my other which I still stuck having to use, I had in my hand and just crack! No dropping or nothing. I'm not happy at all but dealing with the verizon ppl are almost just as irritating!

Upvote 0
You should def check out both screen protector and a glass protector. I think it's a better of preference. I initially used the screen protector when I first purchased my iphone in the past and moved up to the Glas.t protector before I switched on over to the S3 now. All I could say is that both worked for me. I'm always curious to testing out new things as the tempered glass protector was the next hot item on the market. I'm just hoping the Glas.t would come out in S3 as well. :)

Upvote 0
using sgp's new curved crystal on mine. works like a charm and covers the entire screen. i know sgp makes glass protectors for their iphones but dont think they're out for the S3. try their curved crystal: Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Curved Crystal | GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones | SPIGEN SGP
or if you want wet application, there's also zagg: Samsung Galaxy S III (S3) Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG
personally, don't like wet application cuz they tend to feel rubbery.

Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is fine. I never believed any of the videos on youtube, but I can tell you now that I have tested it and it is as strong as they say it is.

I'll even put up my own video if you would like, but I literally took to it viciously with a jewellers screwdriver and a knife and didn't scratch it or mark it at all.

Which does in effect leave me struggling to comprehend how I managed to get a 5mm scratch on the screen without even trying while using it.

If it makes you feel more secure chuck a screen protector on it for sure, but I prefer the feel of glass.

Reactions: shane17
Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is fine. I never believed any of the videos on youtube, but I can tell you now that I have tested it and it is as strong as they say it is.

I'll even put up my own video if you would like, but I literally took to it viciously with a jewellers screwdriver and a knife and didn't scratch it or mark it at all.

Which does in effect leave me struggling to comprehend how I managed to get a 5mm scratch on the screen without even trying while using it.

If it makes you feel more secure chuck a screen protector on it for sure, but I prefer the feel of glass.

thanks iv been using my galaxy note now since april 2011 so its bee awhile! and I gotta say I love the phone and I love the big sexy screen! and iv also come to realize how strong and durable the screen is, iv dropped it and scratched it by mistake and it still looks brand new, so really everyone, if you have gorilla glass... dont worry too much about it. :D

Upvote 0
My brother just cracked his Sprint evo 4g lte, which comes with gorilla glass, and it not only cracked but the whole screen was shattered. I should have taken a picture of it before i got the screen replaced. But maybe gorilla glass wont scratch but it definitely will shatter and crack quite easily. If you have GG then throw in an extra screen protectore just for the added protection, why not?

Upvote 0
i had a droid, droid 2, samsung fascinate and droid razr. i never used screen protectors before the razr, and they all ended up with small fine scratches on them. i do like the feel of a naked screen, however i want my razr to have high retail value down the road.

Andy has the right idea. If you want your phone to be in pristine condition then yes, a screen protector and a case is a must. I don't use a case but I have a screen protector to keep away the fingerprint smudges.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones