• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protectors - My thoughts.

SilverDroid

Jun 10, 2011
As someone who has always used screen protectors I've never had an issue with getting scratches etc on my screen.

When I bought the S2, the first thing I did before using the phone was to put on a screen protector that had come free with a case (randomly.. I dont use the case, but the screen protector was great in terms of cutouts)

Today I decided to swap the protector as I had a couple of tiny air bubbles though I had to use some new ones I had bought off the net. The cutout for the earpiece was not 100% perfect which was rather annoying so it had to come off... HOWEVER.... as good as the old screen protester was, I noticed that it feels so so much smoother to tough the glass screen rather than through a protector so I have decided from today.....

There will be no more screen protectors for me :D

Random post.... But thought I'd share.

Yeh I'm not so sure on screen protectors either. The whole point of them I see is to not scratch the screen but if it means you're losing out on look and appeal (by having bubbles) and not getting a slick surface like samsung intended then it kind of defeats the purpose?? I'm yet to put one on my screen and have no scratches.. I have a simple rule never to put in my pocket along with other things in my pocket and never to put it on a rough surface. So far this is working but once the honeymoon phase wears off I'm not sure I'll be so pedantic ;)

Upvote 0
I should clear some things up :)

1. You dont lose out on the look, I even did a comparison (as I always do) by placing the 1st protector half way down the screen.. so half the screen is covered, and half isnt... To compare light/colours etc. Thats never been an issue for me.

2. Bubbles? Yeh thats my fault lol. I can do it 90% but never 100% :rolleyes:

3. The best part is, I've never normally played with a new phone until I have stuck on a screen protector. Now that's not to say that with one on, it felt non smooth. Just that with the protector on, it felt like glass (some cheap tacky things do admittedly feel like crap and can lose colours too!) but with it off..... It feels like "polished/watery glass" :D

Upvote 0
I've always hated screen protectors and have ranted on the subject here more than once.

The feel of the screen on the SGS2 is particularly excellent and the oleophobic coating works extremely well. No screen protector I have ever seen looked or felt as good as this screen and I don't believe it's even possible for a piece of stretchy plastic ever to be as good as a nice piece of glass.

I hope I don't scratch my screen but it's a risk worth taking to avoid my phone feeling like it's wrapped in cling film.

Using a screen protector is like using a condom. It may be safer, but it certainly doesn't feel as good.

Upvote 0
I've always hated screen protectors and have ranted on the subject here more than once.

The feel of the screen on the SGS2 is particularly excellent and the oleophobic coating works extremely well. No screen protector I have ever seen looked or felt as good as this screen and I don't believe it's even possible for a piece of stretchy plastic ever to be as good as a nice piece of glass.

I hope I don't scratch my screen but it's a risk worth taking to avoid my phone feeling like it's wrapped in cling film.

Using a screen protector is like using a condom. It may be safer, but it certainly doesn't feel as good.

lol!

The one that came with my case (which I dont use) felt pretty damn good. The one that I bought separately felt like rubber :/

I know what you mean though. I'm the same as you (am now) in the sense that I'll take the risk. I dont want to scratch it, though saying that my best friend has got a Galaxy S since it was launched (he's like me and looks after his stuff) and doesnt have any scratches at all. He has never used screen protectors though I got into a routine of getting one.

*goes to google oleophobic*

Upvote 0
yeah, i guess it can still scratch, but its really hard to. i had my old ipod touch (first gen) for 4 years, n i was never really careful with it (the back is loaded with scratches) but the screen doesnt have a single mark on it. i dont know if gorilla glass is similar to wat the old ipod touch had, but im assuming it will be as hard to scratch. not gonna use screen protectors either

Upvote 0
I challange ...howmuch ever u care within 4-5 months u will get scratches on your phone.
Come on, you dont travel with a sofa surface allover!
Anyways screen protectorcan be removed and fixed as many times you want.
when i go for a dinner or a meeting i just remove it and keep it in my pouch.
and put it quickly back as soon as i m back!
Protector i m using is not sticky but works on static power supply!

Upvote 0

I want that as my sig! :D

Personally, I used a screen protector with my iPhone 3G for the whole life of it (2 years), but once the contract ended and I got my SGS2 I took it off as it was starting to peel away. Since getting my SGS2, I have not put a screen protector on it as it just looks and feels so amazing I don't want to trade that for safety. Plus it's gorilla glass! I know that means it's only scratch RESISTANT, but so far so good *touches wood*. I keep it in a silicone case and during the day it's in my pocket on it's own. At night, it's on the sofa next to me and when asleep, it's on my bedside table charging.

Upvote 0
I second the vote for a Sena case, they are superb.

Belt and braces for me though, have a screen protecter on...and I'm so OCD that it has no bubbles at all - it really is nearly invisible. But like the condom comment said...it doesn't feel as good. Still, better safe than sorry, no one wants their nice slim SGS2 getting...scratched! ;o)

Q: What's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist?
A: A pessimist uses a screen protector!

(With apologies to my Dad and his "birds & bees" talk!)

Upvote 0
I challange ...howmuch ever u care within 4-5 months u will get scratches on your phone.
Come on, you dont travel with a sofa surface allover!
Anyways screen protectorcan be removed and fixed as many times you want.
when i go for a dinner or a meeting i just remove it and keep it in my pouch.
and put it quickly back as soon as i m back!
Protector i m using is not sticky but works on static power supply!

Challenge accepted.

I had an iPhone for 3 years and apart from very light scuffing that you have to hold the phone up to a bright light to see, the case is unmarked and the screen is absolutely pristine despite three years of continuous heavy use - literally not a visible mark of any sort.

I keep my phone in my pocket and never put anything else in the same pocket. When I put it down, I rest it on something soft. I am very careful and it has always paid off.

Upvote 0
i put one on that came free with a case, i know it was a cheapie but gave it ago anyway. hated it.
had a few bubbles but the killer was it became more oily which did not wipe away easily and sometimes made a kinda "rainbow" through the bright colours. took it off.
my sister had a better one, but i felt it lost that nice touch of sensitivity....bah. ill take the chance, my last phone has 1 small scratch from over 2 years worth.

Upvote 0
Before I had to exchange it, I had my last GS2 without a screen protector.
I am extremely picky about scratches and marks, so when I put it down on my desk at work, its on a tissue folded up to protect the back, and when in my pocket, no keys or money are in the same pocket.

sure enough, after only 1 day of use without the screen protector, a scratch. Visible only in the light at the right angle, but a scratch no less..

So now I always use a protector..

:D

Upvote 0
...sure enough, after only 1 day of use without the screen protector, a scratch. Visible only in the light at the right angle, but a scratch no less..

So now I always use a protector..

:D

It was that nail you used to press the screen buttons :eek:.

How on earth did you manage that? As I said above, I had my iPhone for 3 years and I never got a mark on it. In particular, the screen looks absolutely brand new no matter how carefully I look at it.

I have only had my SGS2 for about a month but it is completely unmarked and I intend to keep it that way but naked as the day it was born.

Upvote 0
Challenge accepted.

I had an iPhone for 3 years and apart from very light scuffing that you have to hold the phone up to a bright light to see, the case is unmarked and the screen is absolutely pristine despite three years of continuous heavy use - literally not a visible mark of any sort.

I keep my phone in my pocket and never put anything else in the same pocket. When I put it down, I rest it on something soft. I am very careful and it has always paid off.

1 in trillion!.....exceptions always presists.
there is no reason to risk a 800$ peice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones