• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rhystatic

Jun 17, 2011
So, I haven't seen a decent thread (recently) yet for screen protectors so I'd like to start a nice big one full of links and opinions.

Who is using what and why? I feel like the most important part of a screen protector at the moment (besides the normal safety from scratching etc) is the compatibility with the S pen.

I'm sure either of the SGP Steinheil ones are highly recommended. I would like to hear some reviews and personal experiences if anyone has applied/used this on their note 8.0

I was a HUGE (I mean colossal!) fan of the XO Skins wet application screen protectors. I applied one on my Galaxy Nexus almost 2 full years ago and it is STILL going strong. I also used my S pen on the nexus screen just to feel what it would potentially be like on my Note 8.0. It was the same as if it was being used on a perfect glass screen.

The only downside to the XO skins protector is that they haven't released or come out with the Note 8.0 variant yet. So I am patiently waiting for that.

What other options are there and why should they be used? Let's hear some input!

So, I haven't seen a decent thread (recently) yet for screen protectors so I'd like to start a nice big one full of links and opinions.

Who is using what and why? I feel like the most important part of a screen protector at the moment (besides the normal safety from scratching etc) is the compatibility with the S pen.

I'm sure either of the SGP Steinheil ones are highly recommended. I would like to hear some reviews and personal experiences if anyone has applied/used this on their note 8.0

I was a HUGE (I mean colossal!) fan of the XO Skins wet application screen protectors. I applied one on my Galaxy Nexus almost 2 full years ago and it is STILL going strong. I also used my S pen on the nexus screen just to feel what it would potentially be like on my Note 8.0. It was the same as if it was being used on a perfect glass screen.

The only downside to the XO skins protector is that they haven't released or come out with the Note 8.0 variant yet. So I am patiently waiting for that.

What other options are there and why should they be used? Let's hear some input!

I had already purchased the SGP the day I purchased the Note 8.0. When I received it, I was a little disappointed, as it only came with a single screen protector. I had to do several installs (including making it a wet install due to all the dust that kept sneaking in). At the end of the day, it was such a pain that I took it off (because I saw more dust, when I was under florescent light at my work). It is still a great screen protector, but I purchased Geek Squad Insurance, so I'm going without a screen protector until that 2 year warranty is done. The plus side with SGP is usually the fact that it's a dry install. The downside with the tablet protectors, vs. the mobile protectors, is that it only comes with 1 in the package.

Ultra Crystal will always be my choice. I like the Oleophobic as well, but after using that on my Note 2 for quite some time, I realized that it didn't detract oil as much as I thought it would. Unfortunatley, no Oleophobic choice for the Note 8.0.

Upvote 0
The plus side with SGP is usually the fact that it's a dry install.

See, to me, wet install is vastly superior. The problem you said you had with the SGP is the precise reason I go with the wet installs. I installed 3 different XO Skins wet install screen protectors and had ZERO dust on all 3. I think maybe 1 I had to readjust but it was a quick 10sec fix.

That and my XO Skin feels exactly like glass and is bubble and dust free 2 years later.

The Oleophobic SGP seems on par quality wise but it seems like it's just a hope and a prayer to properly install. :(

Upvote 0
See, to me, wet install is vastly superior. The problem you said you had with the SGP is the precise reason I go with the wet installs. I installed 3 different XO Skins wet install screen protectors and had ZERO dust on all 3. I think maybe 1 I had to readjust but it was a quick 10sec fix.

That and my XO Skin feels exactly like glass and is bubble and dust free 2 years later.

The Oleophobic SGP seems on par quality wise but it seems like it's just a hope and a prayer to properly install. :(

Reason I got dust was attempting wet install after I first installed crooked.

Upvote 0
I always use dry install. I currently have Spigen installed on both Note 2 and Note 10.1. The screens are both dust free and I really have no issue applying them. And my house is not a good environment for these applications. LOL.

There is technique and skill involved. I applied them on my bed twice and still got excellent results. I've also removed and reinstalled them a few times because I wasn't happy with it being a little off.

I've even helped another co-worker salvage a dry install screen protector after falling on the floor with the adhesive side down. Because it was a rush job, I've managed to have a few dust specks and little bubbling under the screen but at the edges of the protector. if given more time I would have gotten it all off and reapplied properly. Needless to say, I surprised my co-worker.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I always use dry install. I currently have Spigen installed on both Note 2 and Note 10.1. The screens are both dust free and I really have no issue applying them. And my house is not a good environment for these applications. LOL.

There is technique and skill involved. I applied them on my bed twice and still got excellent results. I've also removed and reinstalled them a few times because I wasn't happy with it being a little off.

I've even helped another co-worker salvage a dry install screen protector after falling on the floor with the adhesive side down. Because it was a rush job, I've managed to have a few dust specks and little bubbling under the screen but at the edges of the protector. if given more time I would have gotten it all off and reapplied properly. Needless to say, I surprised my co-worker.

How did u salvage the protector? That is amazing. I usually don't have problems, but since I was off on the first install, I thought trying wet application would get rid of the dust after initially installing it off center, but no such luck.

Upvote 0
Scotch tape does wonders... ;) LOL.

Generally, I just used scotch tape to quickly go over the protector to pick up the visible specks of dirt and dust stuck on the protector's adhesive. If given the time, I would do a strip method and go over the entire protector to ensure I removed all of it.

But I am thorough with my applications. I can take as long as an hour applying a protector because I'm so picky about it. :p

Upvote 0
After messing up on installing a vinyl type wet installed protector on my tab7+ l got best buy to install one on my note 8 when l got it. It was installed perfectly and was guaranteed. Much easier than me doing it myself.
Now using the s pen after the screen protector installed isn't as nice. The protector is soft and adds a lot of resistance moving the spen across the screen. On the screen itself the spen moves smoothly and with little resistance. Much better experience. Since l take my note to work with me l wouldn't go without a screen protector.

Upvote 0
After messing up on installing a vinyl type wet installed protector on my tab7+ l got best buy to install one on my note 8 when l got it. It was installed perfectly and was guaranteed. Much easier than me doing it myself.
Now using the s pen after the screen protector installed isn't as nice. The protector is soft and adds a lot of resistance moving the spen across the screen. On the screen itself the spen moves smoothly and with little resistance. Much better experience. Since l take my note to work with me l wouldn't go without a screen protector.
That feeling differs from one screen protector to another. The Spigen I have on both the Note 2 and Note 10.1 both feel like naked glass. Also the nib on the pen can give a different feeling when using on the screen. The Note 10.1 S Pen nib has some grip and there is a little resistance compared to the nib on the Note 2.

Upvote 0

Hi- Being new to this forum perhaps I can ask a question and resolve the dry install issue as well. On XDA, the SGP and ismooth are highly regarded...but what is the feasibility of using a wet-install method ( a drop or two of dish detergent in a small vial of distilled water ( to avoid mineral deposits on screen glass ). mixed without creating foam.. then carefully spray the back of protector, (not soaking) and recheck no dust has settled by cleaning glass with glass cleaner type product, and once clean of dust, etc, apply the wet protector with care..the wet surface allows repositioning to perfection, ( squeegee out bubbles is also easier without trial and error of dry. Auto tint and wet installs use the same technique..but with only a small waiting period to dry out..24 hours is ideal. any feedback on this mod w/o damaging phone or protector is welcomed.

Upvote 0
Hi- Being new to this forum perhaps I can ask a question and resolve the dry install issue as well. On XDA, the SGP and ismooth are highly regarded...but what is the feasibility of using a wet-install method ( a drop or two of dish detergent in a small vial of distilled water.
Auto tint and wet installs use the same technique..but with only a small waiting period to dry out..24 hours is ideal. any feedback on this mod w/o damaging phone or protector is welcomed.

I used the wet-install method w/an XTREME GUARD protector w/o any problems.

However, I'd take caution around the home button & have a towel/cloth on-hand to absorb any excess moisture before it has a chance of seeping through the edges surrounding the button.

I'm sure there is some sort of seal surrounding the button, but, an ounce of prevention...........

Reactions: Notetwopilot
Upvote 0
Yes--I agree..cover speaker and home button with tape..I'll use my old otterbox screen guard as template for the tape to cover..and I have to say.. although the otterbox defender protects great...the cheapish plastic protector uglies up the screen..shiny, and gets moisture under it with normal use. So I modded 1 of the otterbox faces to remove the plastic protector so I can use the nicer ismooth or sgp.. Which I will order this week. havent decided which yet. (sgp-;) Ultracrystal, Oleophobic. or .not sure yet.) Unfortunately..the new tempered glass products by seidio and others probably wont fit under otterbox faceplate

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones