• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen randomly stops working

Sharpset

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
I'm not sure why, but my phone's screen will randomly become unresponsive. Usually, a simple restart fixes this problem temporarily. I've had this phone for four and a half months with no major problems to speak of. I've taken very good care of it, trying to avoid something like this. This morning is when it first happened. My phone had been sitting on a table for probably 12 hours completely untouched. So, when I tried to unlock it I was very surprised. Another time it happened was after using my browser and trying to send a text. It stopped working while I was texting (with the physical keypad, I think). Another time was right after I sent a text right after a phone call (also with the keypad, I'm pretty sure). The keypad works fine, and I use it often. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Now this problem only occurs when I'm charging my phone.... The screen will be slightly responsive, and will hit random buttons and pull my notifications bar down. I text with the keyboard so the touch screen doesn't mess me up, but it's annoying not being able to hit send or click a spot in my message and have to deal with my notifications bar sliding down all the time. But, like I said, it's only when I'm charging my phone.

Upvote 0
For some reason, today my touch screen randomly stopped working... My lock button did nothing, and sliding my keyboard out didn't wake the screen either. I noticed it after I got a text, and it happened a few times. I restarted my phone each time. I also found this weird... Around 2:30 I checked my phone's battery graph:

yjqzo.png

It's weird... I've been using it since 6:30 this morning, and as of last night the battery was at 90%. So I have no idea why the graph would start at 70%, almost four hours earlier. I did charge it with Motorola's charger via USB.

Upvote 0
I would first back up all your info (Titanium Backup or a nandroid) then SBF the phone just to make sure it isn't software level. If this fixes it, restore apps and their data from TB (do not restore system stuff). If this doesn't fix it, reroot, restore the nandroid, call VZW, get a replacement and then SBF it before you ship it back.

Upvote 0
I would do what redsox mentioned. If that doesn't fix it, I had the same thing happen with my D1 and it was the digitizer (screen) that was messed up. It only got worse over time. First things started with it randomly "pressing" icons like someone was controlling my phone. Then parts of the screen would stop accepting touch. Then they would work after a reboot. Then go out again. And finally parts would go out and never return to working again. Word of warning though. I ordered one and attempted to replace it myself. Unless you are good with very very small ribbon cables, have it done professionally. I screwed mine up royally :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones