1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen Repair

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Girevik, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

I managed to crack my phone's screen yesterday. We have a cell phone repair place in town, but it would be over $100 to get it fixed. That seems steep for a phone that's 2 1/2 years old and may no be too far off from being replaced. What other options do I have for getting it fixed cheaper. I'd prefer not to have to send it off and be without my phone. So what are my other options?

I see repair kits on Amazon for less than $10. Does anyone know how hard those are to install, and to I risk doing my damage to my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Yes you can get repair kits and there are literally hundreds of YouTube tutorials on how to do it. However I would not even attempt it. This is coming from someone who used to repair solid state electronics (TV and video cameras) for a living. It is possible to do, but I wouldn't do it myself. If the screen is working better sticking a screen protector over it, not for the device but for avoiding cut fingers and keeping the broken glass in place.

3. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

I broke the screen on my nexus 7(2013) and bought the replacement screen on eBay. It was a LCD+digitizer combo because they are bonded together on the nexus. I watched a video on YouTube and did it myself. Went perfectly. I had never done it before and had no trouble. But it is risky for sure. I've never done it on my s3, or watched any videos to know how hard it would be. But I personally wouldn't be able to resist trying. Lol.

4. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

If you decide to replace it yourself, be careful. I know several people who've ruined their digitizer. As mentioned above, there are several tutorials on YouTube. I suggest watching as many as you can to get an overall idea of the different steps people have taken when doing a replacement.

Yankees5627 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews