• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen replacement options

Hello everyone! I currently have kind of an off the wall question in hoping someone may have the answer to. I'm a proud owner of the new Motorola Moto Z. Absolutely love the phone. As of 2pm today, I dropped my device and cracked the screen though! This device was purchased used on eBay so there is no warranty. Looking for some advice for screen replacement. I goofed originally when I purchased the phone and didn't realize the screen was glass on the regular Moto Z, and the Z Force had the Shattershield screen which was also on my Turbo 2. Question I have is, could I replace my broken screen on my Moto Z for a new screen assembly for the Moto Z Force? Connections look to be the same and I'm sure the frame/chassis is the same. Anyone have any ideas? I've uploaded two screenshots I've found of these two devices disassembled. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170301-225450.png
    Screenshot_20170301-225450.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20170301-225618.png
    Screenshot_20170301-225618.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 209
@doogald, is the frame bigger to take the extra "force" of an impact? I really haven't compared them but both screens are a 5.5" display. You'd think maybe with the small difference, maybe one might be a little bigger too? I really haven't compared the phones side by side. Maybe I'll go to Verizon and compare them, see if they're the same side, face to face :thinking:

Upvote 0
I can again see that being a possible issue. The only thing I can think it might would be the larger 3500mAh battery in the force compared to the 2600mAh battery in the base model Z. I'm not arguing with anyone, I guess I'm just optimistic. I'm also really just stuck on the idea that it very well could be possible. If the screen for the Moto Z Force was available to purchase currently, I'd just buy it and find out for myself. Once I tested it, I could come back and let everyone know for sure. I very well could be onto something here!

Upvote 0
Also @doogald, what makes you think the screen is thicker on the force? Just out of curiosity. Nothing I can find might inform me it's a thicker screen other than the frame being thicker for a larger battery and other internals
The shatter shield display is a five layer display. See http://www.smartgizmo.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Moto-Shattershield-1024x534.png

I don't know for sure, but it seems likely that the part is thicker than a standard gorilla glass display on a phone like the Moto Z.

Moto-Shattershield-1024x534.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones