• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen replacement seems to have broken proximity sensor

aleitch

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
I bought and installed a new screen (digitizer) in my Eris. The install went very well but now the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work properly. Most times when I place a call the screens goes blank and won't respond to any button inputs, Once the other party hangs up I get the screen back. But even this is erratic at times, not often, with the screen staying on all the time.

I installed Screebl Lite to force the screen on all the time and it works most of the time but seems to have a hard time figuring out the proximity sensor too.

Is there something I could have done to screw up the sensor when I took the phone apart? Everything else is working fine,

Thanks

There are two "windows" to the left of the ear speaker. One has a little lens over it. I popped the lens off and there was adhesive all over the window. I cleaned it off real well but I still have the problem. There is another window that looks like it is lear but blue. I don't know what that's for. It looked clean.

I'm going to do a hard reset and see what happens. I have another phone now so this Eris isn't even activated but it does try to call customer service.

Upvote 0
I took mine apart and replaced the digitizer as well (cracked screen from dropping it). I didn't clean mine at all... all of that foam adhesive crap... that would've take me forever to get off, so I just left it there. No problems at all with my proximity sensor (or anything, for that matter). The only problems I have are a few spots where the super glue leaked through the cracks on the front of the phone (anyone know how to remove this??) and a couple finger prints in the *inside* of my screen. I really don't want to take it all the way apart again just to wipe them off... maybe someday...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones