• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bmacxp

Lurker
Apr 21, 2011
My Moto Pure X screen just broke to where I can't use the touch screen to do anything. I really don't want to replace the screen myself (unless there's no other choice). Anyone got a good repair shop I can send this to get it repaired? Thanks for the help.
Bill

I don't know where you live or the part of the country you're in, but I am assuming you are in the US... I would recommend finding a reputable local dealer to do this for you rather than send it off. It will take less time and if there is any issue it can be handled locally.

Most cities over 25k people usually have a few places that do this, as do many chains like Batteries Plus, Office Depot/Max, and Staples (some locations do same day in-house repair, some ship out), there are often mall kiosks that can do this same day as well, although most of these places won't likely stock a screen for the MXPE and will have to order it first. A little research, Google, and your local on-line classifieds can often be of help here.

TBH though, for the LCD and digitizer assembly (they need to be replaced together) the wholesale cost is $50-$75, add markup and labor you are likely pushing $150+ for the repair as replacing the screen on this device is not a simple task. A new devices runs well under $300, with Best Buy, Newegg, and B&H often running them for $250 or less on sale. It might make more sense to replace it depending on the cost of the repair.

One word of advice, get a firm quote on the cost before agreeing to it being done, this repair is not simple on this device, and a dealer may well try to increase the cost after the fact if they are not familiar with the difficulty in doing the work on this device. Also be aware that your waterproofing will likely be gone too, although that might not be a real issue to most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63 and Thom
Upvote 0
The replacement of the screen is not overly difficult. There is always the chance you will totally ruin your phone if you do it yourself. When I did mine one of the screws stripped so I drilled it out with my cordless drill. There are probably some good videos of screen replacement on YouTube and if not here is my crappy video of when I replaced mine

Part 1
Part 2

Hope that helps. Don't be to critical of the video it was edited down so it wasn't over an hour long lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones