• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen requires double tap to turn on

kdias

Lurker
Jan 18, 2013
Hi guys, I searched around and couldn't find an answer so decided to ask here.

I recently lost my evo 3D and bought a new one to replace it. I noticed after a while that when the phone's screen has been off for a while (i.e. about 30-45 seconds or more) whenever it comes on, it is completely dark. If you look carefully, you can see the menu, icons, etc, however to turn the screen on I have to click the power button twice (re lock the screen, and then unlock it again).

This applies to any scenario where the screen turns off, including clicking the power button to unlock, receiving a call/text, or even if i'm talking on the phone to someone for a while (i.e. the screen turns off when up to my face) and then I go to use the screen.

Oddly enough, just a quick "off-and-on" makes the screen spring to life as if nothing is wrong.

This has happened since I unboxed it. I thought it might be an OS glitch so I rooted and flashed a custom ROM, and nothing. In fact, I even noticed it happening in the bootloader menu when I was rooting.

Could this be hardware? If so, why does relocking and unlocking work to turn it back on every time?

Thanks for your help guys!

If this was happening pre-root, it's definitely a hardware issue.

That's just like in my old 3vo, faulty digitizer, sometimes I'd have that ghost touch, and sometimes it wouldn't.

Smart phones hardware works in mysterious ways.

The way you explained it, it somewhat sounds like there is a short somewhere underneath.

How long have you had this replacement? If not too long, I'd unroot and send back to asurion or whoever replaced your phone and nicely ask for another. :)

Or another thing, you could take it into a sprint repair store and see what they could do for you.

DS

Upvote 0
I was afraid of that :[. I've only had it a few days, got it right from V-Mobile. The one thing that gets me though is that it's incredibly consistent; as in, whenever it happens, if the screen is turned off and on it always works normally from then on. and then it only comes up again if the screen is off for an extended period of time. well, guess I'll be dealing with customer service again...

Upvote 0
my previous evo, i bought with a cracked screen and replaced it myself so I wouldn't be afraid to open it up if it's a simple fix. however I wouldn't want to do that and void the warranty if it wouldn't work, of course...

Also, would a Sprint store help me with my Virgin Mobile phone? i know it's the same network but not so sure how the rest of it works...

Upvote 0
Ohh an Evo V 4g, im actually not sure if they will since it's not an actual sprint phone.

Well all I can say is get a hold of customer service and hope for the best.

I've also moved your thread into the proper forum "Htc Evo V 4G"

DS

Yeah sprint won't do anything but I hear virgin mobile is good when it comes to sending replacement phones.

And to the OP, I'd call customer service or better yet email saveme@thevirginangels.com

Upvote 0
So they'll be sending me a replacement. now i just have to unroot this one... great -_-. thanks for your help guys.

There's no need really, Virgin checks the meid to tie it to your account and then flashes a stock image both to get the phone back to a known state for troubleshooting and to remove customers information. I've sent back over 6 phones that were rooted and rommed without any problems. Good luck. OB :D

Upvote 0
oh... well that makes things easier. so you're saying I won't get an email saying i wasn't covered under warranty since I rooted?

Not in my lengthy experience exchanging rooted phones on Virgin, plus many others have posted the same experience. Virgin is like the only carrier that doesn't require the original phone before replacement or at least putting a hold on your card for cross shipping. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones