1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen rotation lag

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Munk, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Munk

Munk Lurker

I seem to be getting lag when switching from portfolio to landscape. It can take a full second or longer to change the layout. I have been experiencing this since I got the phone out of the box a few days ago. I was also experiencing big delays when typing in landscape till i turned off the auto correct. My GN is now rooted with original ROM. Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

Are you GSM or LTE?

The screen rotation lag is actually by design for the most part. In prior Android builds a lot of users complained (me included) that the screen rotation was too sensitive so i think they over compensated a bit for it in the stock ICS build.

I'm using Redemption Rom and it has fixed the screen lag issue. It is for an LTE model G Nex.

3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

There are at least 5-6 threads about this, and a bug report/feature request on the android code site.... so hopefully google makes this lag user configurable.

4. Munk

Munk Lurker

I have an LTE model. I had a Moto Droid 1 before this and I know what you mean by being too sensitive. I am glad they tried to fix this issue but it seems just a bit too long before it transitions. I wish there was a way to reduce the time. I'm sure that a ROM will allow for further calibration in the future. Thanks for the response.

5. g nexta

g nexta Well-Known Member

Mine can lag for 5 seconds sometimes :mad:

6. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

Lag might also be a product of what you have on your home screens. If you're using all your home screens and they're laden with widgets, that might prolong the screen redraw.

7. g nexta

oh god I hope that's not true. :(
    I love to keep all my homescreens laden with widgets and folders.

8. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

fwiw technically this wouldn't be classified as a "bug" in the software industry. Because the software does as designed which is to rotate the screen. The fact that it does it too fast or not fast enough for some is irrelevant. It would actually be classified as a "CR" or "change request" Which i can tell you from experience those type of requests get put on the bottom of the list when fixing things in the next update. Hopefully though in the future it will become user configurable so that you can set your own sensitivity.

9. g nexta

^^^word...
    do you also experience this?

10. tbcpn

tbcpn Newbie

There is at least one custom ROM for the CDMA Nexus that has user configurable rotation delay.

11. Lefort1

Lefort1 Android Enthusiast

If you root and go with AOKP ROM, you can configure the delay in screen rotation. It's nice :)

12. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast

I seem to consistently get ~2 seconds of auto-rotate lag on homescreen (nova) and in web browser (stock). I'd like for it to be configurable, but doesn't really bother me either way.

13. g nexta

wtf, nearly no normal user can root, and "AOKP ROM" is alien to most of us. please explain much further, or we'll remain lost.

14. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

15. g nexta

I honestly do appreciate your response, but it actually looks like I would need some kind of class in order to understand what you guys are talking about. And I would actually be happy to do so. Why is it that I am so clueless? I honestly want to learn. I just need to know where to begin, etc.

16. Tin Can Man

Tin Can Man Lurker

This problem is all but fixed (but Google cant apply it yet) on the Galaxy Nexus and it is on your phone NOW. Do this.

Go to your camera. Take a picture of anything. Notice the little thumbnail picture of what you just took in the upper right corner. Now rotate your phone.

The rotation is quick, responsive and fast. See how quick the thumbnail rotates? All Google has to do is apply this to the phone as a whole and just not the camera.

Come on guys. So easy to fix.

17. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Since its not broken in Google's opinion (they made it slow intentionally - whether we like it or not is another story) there's nothing they need to "fix". Like anything android, if you don't like the way google does something.... there are always custom Roms that will let you have it your way.

18. swiff

swiff Member

I thought I heard that this was fixed on 4.04 update?

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews