1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen shattered but phone works. How to get access to phone for saving data...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JayTee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. JayTee

JayTee Lurker

I tripped and fell this morning and my Verizon Google Nexus (rooted with 4.04) slammed face first onto the cement and screen shattered. I have warranty ($99) and have a new phone coming already so that's not my biggest concern. My question or concern is to how to get data off the phone. Phone works as I can hear message alerts going off and the led coming on. Screen itself is black. I plug it into my computer and the PnP feature detects the device and see's it as a "Galaxy Nexus" but won't display content. I know typically there is a key you have to hit in order to allow the system to gain drive access to the phone but I have no such control at this point. Any suggestions on how to gain access to the device?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Do you think the touchscreen input still works? You could get an MHL-HDMI adapter and plug it into your TV. This will allow you to use the TV as the display but you'll need the screen input on the phone to still work. Once that works you can access all your apps and data and do whatever you need as far as backing up. I always used titanium backup because it saved not only apps but app data. Also, turn on google backup and it will save all your phone settings (wifi, bluetooth etc). Make sure your contacts and calendars are all synced with google. If you are running a 3rd party launcher most of them have a backup option as well.

As far as your 'sdcard" you can install airdroid on your phone and (assuming you can view the screen) you can connect to a PC wirelessly and copy all your pics/vids/music to your hard drive. Alternatively, you could install a service like dropbox and move everything to the cloud.

3. JayTee

JayTee Lurker

Thank you. I didn't think about the HDMI option. I'm going to go try that now. I'm not worried about my apps or contact/emails. All that is Gmail cloud based. I also have Dropbox with most of my stuff already there. I do however have some private folders on my Nexus and texts that I'd like to save, before sending phone back. Hopefully, the HDMI option works. I'll update in a bit...

4. JayTee

JayTee Lurker

I need to pick up an MHL to HDMI adapter so I won't know, until I get it. Should be here by tomorrow.

5. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Hope it works for you.

6. JayTee

JayTee Lurker

I haven't gotten the cable yet to see if I'm going to be able to access my old device. In the interim, I received my replacement and got re-connected. Before rooting it again, I decided to 1st use it to see if all the random crashes I was getting rooted would be gone and sure enough, every single app that use to crash is now working. For instance, I could never create a new post using the Facebook app without getting a "Unfortunately, this application has crashed. Report or OK" window. I could also never upload a picture using social app Yelp without the same crash and sending texts (native messaging app) would stop and the only way to remedy the problem was to reboot. Interestingly enough, they now all work flawlessly so I think I'm staying native and not rooting. At least, for a bit. As for JB, I can wait for the over the air update to be pushed. I think my life will be okay with ICS. lol!

7. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

I would suggest unlocking it right away even if you don't plan on rooting. You don't want to load up all your apps and data and pics....and then a month from now decide to root and have to wipe your phone.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews