• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen shifts up while writing a text message

owensc

Lurker
Jan 15, 2011
Anyone else having any issue while typing out a text message where the screen moves up and you have to either scroll back down with the d-pad or use your finger and swipe the screen to get back to the input box?

While its not the end of the world it is still rather annoying. Once the phone "shifts up" it stops taking input and you have to reselect the input box.

I just got my shift yesterday and have probably sent about 200 text messages and this issue happens about 1/5 messages

i am also having this problem.
upon opening the default text messenger after you have typed a few words, the screen shifts down to the bottom of the last message sent/received,
removing your typing focus from your text box. you then have to scroll down to the type box and select inside the box to begin typing again.
pretty much exactly as owensc said.

its really annoying!

my evo shift was doing this out of the box as the first few texts i sent i thought i was somehow FN buttoning a page down key i didnt know about..but its somewhat predictable now so i dont think its anything i am doing.
anyone else?

i did try the battery out and reboot recommendation. after the third text it happened as i double tapped the capslock key. could not recreate. i dont think its tied to any key strokes.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I did not compose the near volume of messages I did on Saturday and the "screen shift" issue did not occur once. (20 messages Sunday compared to probably over 200 on saturday)

I'm trying to think what I may of changed in the settings....and all I can come up with is I turned screen animations from all animations to some animations.

Now I just made this setting change to see how it affects battery life, so I have no clue if this affects the screen shift issue or if I just got lucky yesterday.

Upvote 0
I have this issue on nearly every text message that has 4+ messges in the thread. I opened an issue with HTC support and they suggested pulling the battery, removing all 3rd party/downloaded apps, clearing cache etc and it did not work. I then did a factory reset, and it also did not work. Calling HTC warranty support today for this issue. It is apparently fairly widespread.

Upvote 0
I had switched to Go sms but it bugged out and started highlighting all text when I pushed 'a' so I'm back to the stock messenger. Long story short I'm still experiencing the issue with stock messenger.

I find it interesting very few on this forum are running into this issue but on another forum many are. Maybe people here hold a secret? :p

Upvote 0
I had switched to Go sms but it bugged out and started highlighting all text when I pushed 'a' so I'm back to the stock messenger. Long story short I'm still experiencing the issue with stock messenger.

I find it interesting very few on this forum are running into this issue but on another forum many are. Maybe people here hold a secret? :p

i have come across this problem a time or 2, just dosent bother me that much to post a complaint.

Upvote 0
I would encourage everyone having the issue to report it to HTC support. It is quick and easy. Unless people complain, they are probably not going to work on a fix. I just got mine replaced, hoping I had a "bad" phone, but have not had time to text enough to see if the problem is on the new phone as well.

There is also an issue with the security/timeout lock feature that I have reported and it is still an issue on my new phone. If the timeout time set to 3, 5, 10 mins etc, even after that period of time, if I wake the phone by just sliding the keyboard out, I am not prompted to enter my PIN number. I have to keep it on "timeout immediately" to address the issue.

Upvote 0
I exchanged my initial Evo Shift for another one within my 30 day window from BB. The screen focus shifting issue has not happened yet on the new phone.

However, the problem where you are not prompted for your pin/code when activating the phone via sliding the keyboard out unless you have it set to immediately lock, is still a problem (i.e. if you have it set to lock after 3, 5, 10 etc minutes, you can slide the keyboard out after 15 mins and the phone is wide open and ready to use). Really wish HTC would address this bug (as well as the screen shift bug).

Upvote 0
ive had it happen as well. for those that its not happening to, do you have any kind of case attached? im thinking that might be it, but idk. it is annoying though

i tried it without the case and its still happening. im going to the sprint store today to get a new one because my phone locked up and required a battery pull today and im tired of things going wrong with it and if they want to do a factory reset they can kiss my butt cuz im still in the 30 days. they can replace it or give me my money back

Upvote 0
Whenever i click on a message from the "messaging" menu to reply, after i type a good 10 characters or so, visible screen will shift up, disallowing further entry... the screen shifts to where it is just above the text entry window. It doesn't affect me unless i'm fresh to reply to a message, otherwise it behaves fine... only when i've received a new message from a sender. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards.

Upvote 0
Whenever i click on a message from the "messaging" menu to reply, after i type a good 10 characters or so, visible screen will shift up, disallowing further entry... the screen shifts to where it is just above the text entry window. It doesn't affect me unless i'm fresh to reply to a message, otherwise it behaves fine... only when i've received a new message from a sender. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards.

Found this:

Qwerty Keyboard problem - Android Forums

Upvote 0
I thought I was doing something wrong...
I experimented with how I hold and if I'm hitting other keys and how level the phone or isn't. Mixed results.

Probably 8/10 it does the screen shifting up thing.

I submitted a report to HTC. I'm beyond my 30 day period.

ps. Looking for case/shield ideas (Zagg, etc.) + microSD upgrades... ideas needed or link me to where I should look.

Upvote 0
I sent this to HTC support and got this reply.

"I understand when you use the physical keyboard on your EVO Shift 4G the screen scrolls up and the text box loses focus. Have you powered off your device and powered it on? You may also clear the data from Messages application. This may be done by tapping Menu from the home screen then tap Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All tab> Messages> Clear data. Once this is complete, power off the device and power it on. Once the device has powered on, test the Messaging application with the physical keyboard. If this does not resolve the issue, a Factory Data Reset may be necessary. This will reset the phone to factory settings and reinstall Android to the device. Please note that this will remove any data you have on the device

Upvote 0
That is essentially the response I received from HTC, and I tried everything suggested, to no avail. Luckily, I was within my 30 day window and exchanged it rather than sending it in for repair.

I called HTC support and got transferred to various different "help desks" but the end result was that they suggested sending it in to be repaired.

Again, I encourage everyone having this issue to report it to HTC and on various msg boards until they admit there is a bug and take steps to fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones