• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen shuts off if not plugged in

jonatuna

May 20, 2010
Here's one i haven't seen described yet. My transformer all off a sudden stopped working. After a bit of trials, I've determined that screen shuts off if the unit is unplugged. It doesn't go into standby, it's just the screen. Evrything works on and off the dock, but as soon as it's unplugged - no screen. Battery is fine and fully charged, and I've done a hard reboot (power+vol down), but no dice.

My next step is a full wipe, but I'm travelling now, so I don't want to do this until I get home. Any ideas?

J

Well it looks like it some sort of software issue. I went through Asus support, they got me to do the hard reboot, which didn't work. So they said it was probably hardware and gave me an RMA.

Prepping the tablet to return I wanted to wipe it, which is done by a Settings> Privacy>Factory data reset. I did this, which goes through the initial set up as if the tablet is new. I didn't sign in to my google account, and unplugged and the tablet works!

So next, I wanted to redo the data reset, this time signing in to my google account. I did this, and I have the same problem. I'm wondering if there is somthing with one of my installed apps? Not sure how to proceed. I will try and duplicate the above to make sure it isn't a fluke.

Upvote 0
After a reset, when you first sign in to your Google account, it asks you if you'd like to reinstall all of your apps - say 'no', and see if the problem goes away. That would take you one step closer to determining whether or not the problem is with an app. If it is, then you start the slow and painful process of adding apps one by one until you find the one the kills the tablet.

Because it's turning off your tablet rather than just force closing or causing lag, I'm thinking of something like a power control widget, or something that controls your boot options. Take a look at your apps (and widgets) to see if any of them have the ability to turn off the tablet.

Upvote 0
I think I've found the issue, but don't know how to solve it. Whenever auto-brightness is turned off, and the tab is unplugged, my screen shuts off. Works fine with auto-brightness on, or either way when it's plugged in.

Time to email Asus support again...
Thank you very much! This problem just started on my transformer last week. Changing to auto brightness also fixed my screen issue! I don't
like how dim it is, but for now it'll do!

Upvote 0
My tablet is now having the same issue. I am way off warranty and so I was hoping someone else has had this same issue and figured out a solution that does not involve an RMA through ASUS.

I have turned on auto brightness for now and it is working but is quite dark if there is any light in the room while I am using it. Possibly there is a screen brightness widget someone could recommend that would allow me to still adjust the brightness??

Everything works perfect on the tablet other than this issue. Sure dont want to have to replace over this.

Thanks for any advice or assistance!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones