• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Stays on (does not time out)

comiclown

Lurker
Nov 13, 2010
Hello,
With one of my epic, the screen does not time out. I have set my screen timeout @15 sec and keyboard @6 sec. Regardless if you're in home, call, browse or message the screen seems to go blank for less after the set time (15sec) then right away everything lights right back (screen and the 4 buttons). (it times out for maybe 1 sec)
I tried with 2 epic simultaneously (with same settings) one timeouts and whereas this one seems to timeout for fraction of sec ( less than a sec) and turns on right back.

Is anyone experiencing a similar problem?
I have updated the system (menu->about the phone-> system update).
FYI the if I press the on/off button on the side the screen does timeout.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Sam

i'm having the same problem and am literally at my wit's end with this phone. I love the function, but I feel like I have to "hand-cuff" the phone to get even "normal" battery life out of it.

This newest issue with the screen time out (or lack thereof) is driving me nuts. Last night, I re-formatted my phone (to factory), and re-installed apps one at a time. Everything seemed perfect until this morning when suddenly the problem returned.

Has anyone (besides the two of us) experienced this?

My phone is stock (2.1). I am running Launcher Pro (and this occurs when all other programs are shut-down. . .and when several are running). The screen will dim to black, then immediately turn back on to the preset brightness and continue the same cycle until i depress the "power button" and then. . .sometimes it will go to a "sleep" mode--(screen timed out).

Can anyone help me fix this? Screen time out is set to 15 seconds and keyboard is set to 6 seconds.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
ahhhhhh. . .this saga is over.

Thanks for the responses. After 3 trips to Sprint to have the phone "slated and checked." The phone FINALLY replicated the problem while it was in the tech's hands. He determined there must be a short somewhere in the phone and replaced it on the spot. The strange thing is the phone still checked out "all clear" when he ran tests on it. I'm just glad this episode with my epic is over.

now on to the next one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones