• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Screen Stays on While Charging

MtnDewMan

May 15, 2010
Upgraded to EB01 Froyo and now my screen will not turn off while charging. I charge it up at night and would like my bedroom dark :)

Tried just hitting the power button to make the screen go off, but when an MMS or email come in the screen turns on (like it should) but doesn't turn off again. It just dims after the screen timer (2 minutes in my case).

The option under debugging is no longer there to check or uncheck.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Upgraded to EB01 Froyo and now my screen will not turn off while charging. I charge it up at night and would like my bedroom dark :)

Tried just hitting the power button to make the screen go off, but when an MMS or email come in the screen turns on (like it should) but doesn't turn off again. It just dims after the screen timer (2 minutes in my case).

The option under debugging is no longer there to check or uncheck.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

hmmm odd ... i just upgraded too and don't didn't have this problem. Used to be an "always on" option when plugged in but it was removed in dl30 and doesn't seem to be on eb01. You don't have a "screen on" app do you? I use one that give me the option of keeping my screen on for my car cradle while driving

Upvote 0
I can't find a screen on app, I don't use a car cradle app. I am using super clean ROM, there is a different clock app that is different than the stock app. But no option in there.

I remember setting it to stay awake when I was rooting it prior to the upgrade, don't remember if I ever unchecked it. Would that be part of it?

Upvote 0
I can't find a screen on app, I don't use a car cradle app. I am using super clean ROM, there is a different clock app that is different than the stock app. But no option in there.

I remember setting it to stay awake when I was rooting it prior to the upgrade, don't remember if I ever unchecked it. Would that be part of it?

hmmm when it comes to rooting that's prob a better question for Saps ... I haven't seen that root option or in CW.

Upvote 0
hmmm odd ... i just upgraded too and don't didn't have this problem. Used to be an "always on" option when plugged in but it was removed in dl30 and doesn't seem to be on eb01. You don't have a "screen on" app do you? I use one that give me the option of keeping my screen on for my car cradle while driving

Yea if that's still checked that would be your problem

Sorry quoted wrong post..this was for mtndewman lol

Upvote 0
Yep that was it. In EA28 pre froyo, the option to stay awake is there. If that option is checked while you do the upgrade to EB01, then the config stays checked but no way to turn it off, therefore it stays on while charging. I went back, reinstalled the old system, made sure stay awake was turned off prior to updating to EB01 and all works normally after that when charging.

Upvote 0
Yep that was it. In EA28 pre froyo, the option to stay awake is there. If that option is checked while you do the upgrade to EB01, then the config stays checked but no way to turn it off, therefore it stays on while charging. I went back, reinstalled the old system, made sure stay awake was turned off prior to updating to EB01 and all works normally after that when charging.

great piece of info! I have been trying that figure out

Upvote 0
Check out Settings > Applications > Development

Stay awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)

If this is checked, it might keep the screen on after the "Phone is Charged" pop-up appears.

- Tim

The problem is that on EB01 that option was removed. I have the pop up disabled so it doesn't come on later. It stays off if I hit the power button but some mornings I come downstairs and its on! Very frustrating!:mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones