• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen & Sunshine

D

Deleted User

We've had abnormally sunny weather here in Ireland over the last month and I have noticed that the screen seems to be damn near impossible to see in direct sunshine :( Even if I try to shade the phone with my hand or a book it's still difficult. I've found I actually have to move out of the sunlight which is not always possible or idea.

This has also become a problem using it as my satnav...I've ordered a Tetrax Fixaway for my dashboard so I can move it down to the shade for using in the car.

But has anyone found this problem and discovered a work around?

We've had abnormally sunny weather here in Ireland over the last month and I have noticed that the screen seems to be damn near impossible to see in direct sunshine :( Even if I try to shade the phone with it's still difficult. I've found I actually have to move out of the sunlight which is not always possible or idea.

This has also become a problem using it as my satnav...I've ordered a Tetrax Fixaway for my dashboard so I can move it down to the shade for using in the car.

But has anyone found this problem and discovered a work around?
Have you lot worked out what the big bright ball in the sky is yet? I have found keeping the screen brightness set to auto seems to work and is not too bad on battery life. When using it as a sat nav I assume you have it plugged into the car power so you could even have it all the way up on full, and dont forget to remove the sunglasses ;-)

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem with auto-brightness on. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to adjust, but barely noticeable. :-D

Same. Chews through your battery though.

Though in fairness, Goreygirl might want to give it a second thought, looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worst today unless the Sunny South-East is keeping up to its name?

Upvote 0
Haha, it's been a weird one this week. bright but a lot of wind. had few spells yesterday, but looks like it's gonna be another bright one today. I hate it when it's raining and I get a call and get raindrops on the screen. Since my Hero somehow managed to get water damage from getting a very few drops on the screen, I'm worried it will happen to the DHD. I have insurance and everything is backed up, I just can't bare the idea of not having my phone for roughly 24 hours!

Upvote 0
I use the brightness control widget and put it to full whack if I need to then put it back to what I usually have it on (the lowest brightness possible) it is a bit of a pain but I'm used to it now, and I think the UK has had its summer so I probably won't need to do it for a while. ha ha!

Upvote 0
Though in fairness, Goreygirl might want to give it a second thought, looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worst today unless the Sunny South-East is keeping up to its name?

LMAO... 4 seasons in one day at the moment seems to be the way forward :) But I live in hope that we will see the sun again as I got a bit over excited and stocked up on sun cream a few weeks ago!

I usually have my screen brightness on about 40% so will try the auto-brightness to see how that works. If that fails then I'll add an anti-glare screen.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Upvote 0
LMAO... 4 seasons in one day at the moment seems to be the way forward :) But I live in hope that we will see the sun again as I got a bit over excited and stocked up on sun cream a few weeks ago!

I usually have my screen brightness on about 40% so will try the auto-brightness to see how that works. If that fails then I'll add an anti-glare screen.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Typically Irish! A bit of sun and we buy a shitload of sun screen and a whole new summer wardrobe!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones