• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen time out during calls

Futureboy67

Lurker
Jan 11, 2013
Just got a new Galaxy Note II. The other day during calls the screen was timing out as it should when holding it to my ear. It is no longer doing so and is rather annoying. Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed? I have looked all over but can find nothing. I have searched the forums a bit but may not have worded my search properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Just got a new Galaxy Note II. The other day during calls the screen was timing out as it should when holding it to my ear. It is no longer doing so and is rather annoying. Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed? I have looked all over but can find nothing. I have searched the forums a bit but may not have worded my search properly. Any help would be appreciated.

From the dialpad screen
  • Menu
  • Settings
  • Auto screen off during calls (check)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Futureboy67
Upvote 0
Tried the easiest thing of all and restarted it. Took care of the problem. Should have tried that first. Sorry for wasting your time!

It's not a waste. The subject is now here for others to search on if they have a similar issue. It does raise an interesting thing though. And I hate to go all IT Crowd on folks but "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" is not just PC specific. My parents waited 4 months for me to get home and look at their digibox. I popped the cable in and out. Job's a goodun.

Sometimes a fluctuation in the transperambulation of pseudo cosmic antimatter will cause something to fail unexpectedly and a restart will fix it for the foreseeable future. Such fluctuations are rare however and so repetition of said errors will warrant further investigation.

If you do re-encounter such a situation as mentioned it may be that you have other software present that utilises the proximity sensor (one of the 2 holes between the front camera and the earpiece speaker bar) and that software had caused a lock.

If software is not the issue then I suggest checking for some of the following (not necessarily in order): phone shrimp, microscopic mischief monkeys, intelligent lint, contagious confetti, dastardly dark stuff, explosive earwax, clumsy thumbs. In short, anything that can block the proximity sensor.

Reactions: Futureboy67
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones