• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen turns on when my phone is not in use

Hi,

A few times over the last couple of days my phone has been draining battery incredibly quickly over a very short period of time. Every time this has happened it has occurred overnight whilst sleeping and it appears to be the screen turning itself on and staying on, thus draining the battery (See attached screenshot). When I view battery usage, screen has taken up the majority of power used (>50%).

I haven't installed any new programs recently and haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary with my phone.

Usually I'm very good with my battery and can get about 4 days out of it if I'm lucky, as I tend to follow all advice about longevity. I've taken a look around the forums and can't find any people with the same problem - any help would be much appreciated!

...the screen turning itself on and staying on, thus draining the battery

Are you having any other odd symptoms? (Does it reboot randomly, does it sometimes power on by itself when the battery is inserted, does the "Power Off/Reboot/AirplaneMode" screen come up sometimes?)

I had a similar issue with my Sprint GS2, and it ended up being a bad power switch.

My screen would wake with just the slightest touch of the power button. Eventually, the phone started rebooting, because the power switch was getting stuck on for ~10 seconds.

Here are some threads with other bad-power-switch symptoms. (It's a very common problem for all the S2 models):
samsung galaxy s II won't turn on-vibrates | T-Mobile Support
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...xy-s-ii-wont-turn-only-beeps.html#post5935972
http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/720544-galaxy-sii-sph-d710-power-button-issues.html

If it is a power button issue, you can replace it yourself for about $10 if you have the tools and skill, or send it in for repair for about $40. (
Option 1 "GeekSales" , or
Option 2 "MobileTechVideos")

Reactions: Zangelir and Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones