• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen went black!

bstarr3

Aug 16, 2010
Came into work this morning, plugged the phone into the Samsung dock, was trying to get to my gmail when the screen went out. Well, I've had some annoyances with the screen timeout, so I thought nothing of it. Tried pushing the power button. Nothing. Took the phone off the dock. Tried again - nothing. The backlight comes on on the capacitive buttons, but the screen is black. Held down the power button - the power off/airplane/silent toggle comes on. Okay, I thought - maybe it's frozen up. Powered down, got the VZW splash screen. Powered back up, got the whole bootup animation. After the VZW splash screen, screen goes black and I'm right back in the same place again. I've also tried this process with removing the battery. Same thing happens. Seems to linger at the Verizon splash screen longer than I remember, too, on bootup. About 20 seconds...

So to recap, here I am: The backlight on the capacitive buttons is on (and not dimming, btw). If I hold down power, I get the power off menu. Otherwise, the screen is black, and not responding to any button presses. I'm running Launcher Pro, otherwise stock/not rooted. Need help - don't have time to go wait at the vzw store for an hour today. Thanks

Mine is doing the same thing

Is your's also running LauncherPro?

I used to get the problem on my D1, but that was only when I deleted Launcher.apk so I could possibly get it exchanged (didn't work but I tried lol).
Anyways, it may be because of Launcher Pro. Are you able to hold down the Home Key and click the task manager. Try and kill or uninstall Launcher Pro.

Upvote 0
It wasnt the exact same thing but once this past weekend I had the screen go black and the 4 buttons remaining lit. Nothing was working, I think the device actually rebooted itself despite skipping all the normal start up splash screens. Weird. It hasnt happened since and frankly I dont even know how or why it did it that one time

Upvote 0
Ended up taking it in to the VZW store. They did a hard reset (which I had apparently been pushing the buttons wrong. It's BOTH volume buttons at the same time, then power on) And it brought it back. Rep said if that hadn't worked they would have replaced the unit. Since I've gotten it back, I've now joined the world of root, have the lag fix applied, got rid of the bloat - feeling good!

Reactions: yonsie
Upvote 0
Ended up taking it in to the VZW store. They did a hard reset (which I had apparently been pushing the buttons wrong. It's BOTH volume buttons at the same time, then power on) And it brought it back. Rep said if that hadn't worked they would have replaced the unit. Since I've gotten it back, I've now joined the world of root, have the lag fix applied, got rid of the bloat - feeling good!
This total black out thing happened to me too.... thanks for the tip on the volume buttons and power on... I will try it if it ever happens again.... I resolved my issue by taking the battery out and then back in, but not ideal, certainly. I had the same issue with my iPod Touch a while back... googled it.. and it was a simple solution... but... when it's happening.. well.. not a good feeling at all. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Thank you BSTARR!!!! My Fascinate was less than 12 hours old when this happened to me. I out and out panicked! Thought I had a lemon. I tried holding both volume buttons at the same time in addition to the power on button, and voila!:)

Before that happened, my only beef with the phone was that the power/sleep button was on the side. I'd rather have it on top, because honestly, when do you ever even touch the top of a typical phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones