• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen won't come on!!

Liamalone

Feb 16, 2011
Hi all,
My handset is acting up, when the screen is turned off I can't get it to come back on :( The buttons light up and I know the phone is working but the screen won't illuminate. Any ideas? Heard of this before?

So far I've pulled battery, clockworkmod restore to better days, factory reset :(

When the phone is turned on all is working, but the moment the screen turns off I cannot get it to function after :(

HELP!!!

Yes, issue still present after nandroid and factory reset. Only changes in the past month would have been the miui updates, last on was installed about 4 days ago.

Receiving a text message 'awoke' the screen once, subsequent calls/messages have had no impact and the screen stays asleep :(

Upvote 0
Will try another ROM when I get home later, Thx.

A bit of googling found others with a similar issue after dropping their phone and some capacitor has needed resoldered. I could've dropped it on NYE but would hope the casemate tough did its job.

Funny thing is, it randomly 'worked' as normal once this morning - the screen woke on pressing the power button but after it returned to the faulty state. I had my hopes up then was dashed straight away :(

Upvote 0
Cheers for your input Daniel San, much appreciated :)

Aye, think the only step left is contact my network provider '3' and see what they say and then HTC if need be, I have the phone 13 months. Only thing is, I dropped it one day when I was in between cases, I had lost part of the 1st case somehow on a previous night out, and there is a visible mark or two which may be problematic :(

On the original problem, strange thing is that if the phone isn't touched for a period of time the screen wakes up first time and then the problem occurs thereafter. For example, I left work last night and when I got home after 40mins travelling it woke first try, but wouldn't afterwards. Same thing today, went out on a call so I turned screen off to save battery, phone woke first time an hour later when tried :thinking:

Head scratcher lol

Upvote 0
I phoned '3' today and they say it's covered by them for the length of the contract so I'm to take it to my local '3' shop and they will send it off, will chat to the folk in-store and gauge their reaction to the small drop marks on it and find out where it actually goes etc before I actually hand it over - saw a thread that warns of problems if it goes to HTC http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...on-htc-warranty-mandatory-repair-charges.html

So ..... now I need to ruu it but I can't seem to find info on what to do with the ruu lol. Any tips folks?? As I recall the handset is unbranded (http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/279644-few-questions.html) so I will be using the ruu from the dropbox in SUroot's sig :) Cheers lads!

Any other tips appreciated!

p.s. I tried to download it at work via my handset, as it's the only decent connection I have at present due to a house move, but it failed after I entered password, tried to download but failed immediately. Gremlin?

Upvote 0
Thanks, have downloaded 2.3 upgrade, no pc access until later, how do I run it though?

It would suit me better to use PB99IMG one as local 3 shop is here at place of work and home is 20miles away. To use that through hboot do You need to be s-off?

Edit: moved to root of card and renamed appropriately when I git time to search myself.

Upvote 0
Update: local 3 store had no phones to loan me in the meantime, 2 were on loan and 2 were faulty. The guy I spoke to seemed to try to push me to phone 3 and get them to collect it, said it would be a lot quicker. With regard to the drop marks, he said it was in great condition compared to some of the ones that he has sent back so hopefully that is a good sign.

Going to phone 3 tomorrow and go down that root as a friend has a spare handset to loan me, a 3 branded nokia. Only thing is, I had to root again as I will have the phone a few days and use a couple of apps for tracking daily stuff - couldn't restore the Titanium backups I made as I was unrooted lol Ah well!

Upvote 0
Update: I intended to update earlier but was out of country and then forgot.

Sent the phone back to 3 in the jiffy bag they sent me, this was on the Thursday afternoon and it came back to me on the Saturday - 2 days later:eek: fixed and all. I have to say I think that was exceptional service.

No charge or query from 3, nowt mentioned about the few small dents on it after all. Great service :)

Now ........

I was on the lash last weekend and my phone went for another bounce, this time down the stairs = cracked/shattered amoled display :( Sent it back to 3 for the craic to see what they would say.

What happened? Phone repair not covered under warranty :(

How much to repair??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones