• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen won't turn back on when I remove phone from my ear

I have a relatively new Galaxy S3. When using the phone the screen blanks (as expected) when I put it to my ear. When I remove it from my ear the screen will sometimes go active, and sometimes will not. Any advice is appreciated.

Hello and welcome, ziploc.

It sounds like the proximity sensor is dirty/obscured. Clean with a soft cloth the top half inch or so of your screen. That sensor will turn the screen dark when blocked by your face/head during phone calls so as not to inadvertently press icons while on the phone.

It's supposed to show the screen once the phone is out of range of being blocked.. if it does not, it's likely dirty up there and "thinks" you're still on the phone. ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The screen looks quite clean, and my hands are not near the sensor. But I just had a bad feeling... I recently replaced the front glass because I had cracked it. I suppose it's possible that something could be obscuring the sensor behind the glass. But if this were the case wouldn't I see the screen blank for no reason sometimes? That has never happened.

Upvote 0
The sensor only comes into play when an app tells it to (like the dialer app) so maybe you have damaged it but +1 for being able to replace the glass. Ive read of people doing a lot more damage when replacing it :beer:

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before replacing the glass. I tried to glean the best info from each. All in all it looks brand new again. Other than a slight loss of sensitivity to the "back" button on the bottom right (and possibly the problem I posted here?) it works perfectly.

I think the glass and tape were about $10.00 total.

Upvote 0
Youre a braver man than me lol. Ive watched a few vids too n it seems a bit messy. If i break mine though ill have no option but to do the same as you so its good to see a semi-success story lol. Loss of prox sensor is far better than paying money that i dont have :)
If youre making a call thats gona require u to use the keypad, just turn speakerphone on until youve entered the numbers :beer:
Ps theres apps that use the sensor. Only one i can think off the top of my head is Flip Case Control n i duno if theres a free version but try something similar just to test it

Upvote 0
Yeah man. If it happened straight after the work you did on it its probably hardware but i just edited my last post with a PS :thumbup:

You could very well be right. Unfortunately it's one of those things where I can't be sure. I didn't notice it immediately after the glass replacement, but that could simply be that I didn't happen to need that feature until a week later.

I like your idea of trying an app that uses it. I might also do the factory reset. It's annoying because sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes it gets stuck off. Never gets stuck on. When I put it to my ear the screen always blanks.

Upvote 0
So I found an app for testing all the sensors. I'll give that a try and report back. I also found a tip relating to a different phone, but it might be of help here. They mentioned that the screen covers can play havoc with the proximity sensor. Of course I put a new screen cover on as soon as I replaced my glass. It has a cut-out for the proximity sensor, but it looks like it still covers the sensor ever so slightly. I'll make the cutout a bit larger and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can test the sensor functionality, by opening your dialer and keying in:
*#0*#

The "Sensor" button is in the center of the screen. Press it, and you will see bunch of sensors giving you all kind of feedback. To test the Proximity, move your hand over the sensor. The screen should turn green and phone will vibrate.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Just tried that. The proximity sensor seems to work fine when I do that. The numbers seem to change with the distance of my hand from the sensor. But the green screen and buzzing are consistent with the behavior problem I have. Once I put my hand in front of the sensor I get the green screen and buzzing. When I remove my hand the sensor numbers indicate I have moved my hand, but the screen remains green and it keeps buzzing.

I'm about ready to try the factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones