• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen wont turn off when on call. Proximity sensor not working

Hi, I've just returned my 10 months old DHD for repair because of same problem.

The proximity sensor has stopped working properly - I've tested a lot, and it seems it will only detect something if I push my finger down on it. As soon as I start lifting my finger just the slightest, its not detecting a thing.

Feels kind of stupid to have to press your phone hard against your ear to make sure you don't hang up the phone with your chin during phone calls...

I hope they will fix my phone (the have to), but fingers crossed that they'll exchange it for a new one :)

Upvote 0
I have just fixed my proximity sensor issue. I watched the 'how to dissasemble HTC Desire HD' video on youtube and once I had the case off I could see the problem! The whole of the area under the speaker grill was absolutly covered in dust and dirt! I'm suprised I could still hear anything through the speaker let alone the proximity sensor working! I carefully cleaned the whole area and while I was there I removed, cleaned and re-attached the speaker too. Put it back together and problem solved! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones