1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen wont turn off when on call. Proximity sensor not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dayd08, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dayd08

dayd08 Newbie
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    the screen no longer turns off when on a call and also pocket mode no longer works.

how can i sort the proximity sensor?
    so frustrating

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Are you rooted at all? There is an app on XDA to recalibrate the sensor, but it looks as though you need root for it to work.

3. dayd08

dayd08 Newbie
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    no my phone is not rooted....do you think i should root it? scared i will end up bricking it!!

4. sonesh

sonesh Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Coventry, UK
    Personally, I installed an app called "Tasker" and created a profile which turns the screen off automatically when in a call. You can still turn it back on manually by pressing the power button

5. jockdee

jockdee Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Happened to mine and I sent it back to htc for repair

6. Benn_

Benn_ Newbie
    None

Ah glad it's not just me that's got this, i installed a app "poweroff" which worked great a few times, but then locked the swipe to unlock screen...

7. bjoernbertelsen

None

Jun 10, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Hi, I've just returned my 10 months old DHD for repair because of same problem.

The proximity sensor has stopped working properly - I've tested a lot, and it seems it will only detect something if I push my finger down on it. As soon as I start lifting my finger just the slightest, its not detecting a thing.

Feels kind of stupid to have to press your phone hard against your ear to make sure you don't hang up the phone with your chin during phone calls...

I hope they will fix my phone (the have to), but fingers crossed that they'll exchange it for a new one :)

8. jockdee

jockdee Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    This happened to mine again! Reluctant to send it away for repair, looked online for feedback. Found one that said to switch off the phone, take out battery for a minute, put back in, power up. Wahay, it worked! Might work for others too

9. Traderjack2005

None

Apr 9, 2012
    I have just fixed my proximity sensor issue. I watched the 'how to dissasemble HTC Desire HD' video on youtube and once I had the case off I could see the problem! The whole of the area under the speaker grill was absolutly covered in dust and dirt! I'm suprised I could still hear anything through the speaker let alone the proximity sensor working! I carefully cleaned the whole area and while I was there I removed, cleaned and re-attached the speaker too. Put it back together and problem solved! :D