• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen wont turn off

Check Settings / Developer Options / Stay Awake (should be unchecked). It's supposed to be only while charging, but still make sure it's unchecked.

If that's not it, download the app GSam Battery Monitor. After it's run for a while, open and tap the vacuum cleaner icon at the bottom of the screen. This shows apps consuming the battery. At the top you can also switch to view which apps are keeping the phone awake, waking the phone, and various other lists. Very useful in finding battery draining apps.

Reactions: thoufeee
Upvote 0
I have been having the same issue as Fahrenheit85 for about two weeks. It is an almost-new phone and I was worried it was defective.

Following the advice above, I uninstalled the two most recently-installed apps, and did a "restart" on the phone (restarting alone did not remedy the problem). Happily, uninstalling the two apps worked, and my screen now auto-turns off! I'm not sure which app was the culprit but regardless I'm very relieved.

A factory reset was not needed -- happy about that as well. :)

Upvote 0
I have Cricket Samsung Galaxy Core Prime Android Kitkat (rooted using Kingroot). Screen would not go to sleep unless I turned the phone off. The power button would not turn the screen off. Any apps wouldn't do it. I found that it was because I renamed bootsamsung.qmg in system/media folder using Root Explorer app. This disabled the Cricket screen during boot. After I restored the file name, everything worked fine. Haha, there is a good reason vendors don't want to sell you rooted phones!

Upvote 0
My phone is not turning off at all! I press the power button but the screen does not go off. At first I thought something is wrong with my button but if I long press the power button, option for shutting down windows opens.....I tried to turn off my device but after 5 secs it turns on again..... Please help If any solution

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I've registered in these forums only to let everyone know how I solved the issue, since like so many other users, my screen wouldn't turn off automatically no matter what I did.

In my case, the issue was the settings of a particular app. I had changed the options of the app so the screen would never turn off while it was running. This seemed to affect the behavior of the screen even in the lock screen!

Here's how the interaction went:

- Start the app
- Put the phone on sleep mode manually (by tapping the power button)
- At some point, wake the phone up without unlocking it, perhaps to check the time on the lock screen.
- While on the lock screen, the phone fails to go to sleep again.

Does this sound familiar? Is your phone's screen failing to turn off JUST some times and you don't know why? If so, try to change the settings on any apps that allow you to keep the screen on while you use them. Since I found out about this, my battery life has improved dramatically.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Well guys even i signed only because to let u know how i solved screen lock problem..i remember tht after installing few apps this problem was started triggering...so i went in reverse mode i started to uninstall the apps which was last installed..and on uninstalling the app "Traffic Rider" my problem got solved..so guys there are some apps which won't allow u r phone to lock automatically. If u dont remember the last installed app, U can also download a software called wakelock detector which shud help u.
Thanks

Hiten

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones